Fitting a glass shower screen to an uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a shower screen, but the wall is not flat. The wall bracket (which will hold the glass panel) is 6 tiles high, and will be position roughly here:

And it can either fit flush to the bottom two tiles, with a gap between the bracket and the wall at the top of the bracket:

or it can fit flush to the top four tiles, with a gap at the bottom:

The latter is the lesser of the two evils, but still not ideal. The gap at the bottom will be about 2cm. Two problems that I can see:

1. The gap will need cleaning. Not impossible, but a pain.
2. The bottom screw which should fasten the bracket to the wall will (if used) go across that gap, and so not be much use unless I get some kind of spacer (pile of washers, or a rubber spacer possibly.

Is anyone aware of a better way of doing this, or any products which can fill the gap without looking awful?

All help much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If the gap is less than around 6mm you should be able to screw tight to wall and have the frame 'give' enough to stay flush.The shower panel has enough adjustment to then fit to the bracket.
Or you can take an angle grinder with tile blade to the tile 'bump' and channel it enough so all lies flush.

Ive just fitted one, wasn't as far out of square as yours.
Its the silicone seal that holds the frame, the screws are only a support.
You could pack it out with plastic strip.
The outside of the frame is the bit you want to make look nice & then run a silicone bead down it.

The odds are that the jamb will leak - if you plumb the jamb, and screw to give 10mm gaps at the top and bottom its 10mm too much. The slightest knock will open it up.

Whatever, dont screw to distort the alu. jamb.

Slicing and trenching the tile wont fly - it would only allow moisture ingress & make the background vulnerable.

You will have to bite the bullet, and remove tile - perhaps the whole outside edge of tiles - shave down the backgound and make good.

Do it properly, even tho its safety glass its still glass.

Sponsored Links
I had the same on my last install. I screwed it to the wall and closed the gap. it's unnoticeable and no leaks 2 years later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back