Watch Dog (Boilers)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not a plumber, but read lots on here. The minute watchdog started last night & was talking about boilers I new which one it was. I try not talking about the Potterton Suprima on here as I have 1 & touching wood has worked ok for 3 years.
I suppose its about to pack up now.
A thought I had was that my boiler is situated in the loft & the pcb must be at a lower temperature than if it were situated in an enclosed space, so I wonder if it is a temperature related issue with the pcb. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Would imagine that your loft is pretty hot in summer and very cold in winter so probably not. I've done loads in outside garages aswell.

ollski said:
Would imagine that your loft is pretty hot in summer and very cold in winter so probably not. I've done loads in outside garages aswell.

Yes the loft does get quite hot in summer, but the boiler is not on that long to supply the hot water.
I wonder if they have statistics on boiler location verses breakdowns.

Hey, interesting theory. But I doubt it matters, there just poo,

Done then In Alot of garages and plenty of kitchens so doubt it temp related.

Dont think Theyll have a data base of where they were, well actually british gas keep a record of where the boilers are in a house and what make of boiler so they probably could search and find any coincidences but i doubt they would or could do it.

If i were you id be saving the pennies for when it happens.

I also wander how we know the new PCBS are any better, yes it solves the prob at the time but theve only been making them for 4 years or something like that.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
ollski said:

Yes the loft does get quite hot in summer, but the boiler is not on that long to supply the hot water.
I wonder if they have statistics on boiler location verses breakdowns.

If you think DIY IS fun, you should look in the uk.d-i-y newsgroup

did you try phoning the number on watchdog ?

POtterton just used it as a vehicle to sell their overpriced boiler insurance

raden said:
Potterton don't sell insurance

baxpoti said:
raden said:
Potterton don't sell insurance

OK, repairing for a fixed price, is what I should have said ,yes, not quite the same thing

ACOperson said:
Heateam have some sort of insurance. They're Potterton.

Work is guaranteed. I don't class that as insurance!

Domestic and General do sell insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back