Water based over oil based gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me advice on how to apply water based gloss over older oil based gloss? The oil based has been there for 13 years, fairly sound but a lot of chips where furniture has banged into it. (Panelling around windows.)

Do I need to apply a primer, and if so what kind, to get the water based to adhere to the oil based and not peel off?

Should I sand it down? How do I sand right into the molding - steel wool?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should fill the chips and then sand the filler flat before lightly sanding all of the woodwork with a fine wet and dry paper, used wet. Wipe clean with a damp cloth and allow to dry. Most good quality water based/acrylic glosses will then adhere directly to the surface but it must be sanded thoroughly - the slightest bit of remaining sheen will give a spot for the new gloss to start peeling and more than likely spread further. Personally, I like to use a combined acrylic primer/undercoat after sanding to give the water based gloss a better surface to stick to but I have used water based gloss directly without problems.

If you have extremely intricate mouldings you might be better served usind a high grip primer, like one of the Zinsser products (Bullseye 1-2-3) which will adhere to the existing gloss without sanding it and give you a good surface to use your water based gloss on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back