Water based paint on hardwood trims - best stain blocker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently been using the Sikkens water based primer, Rubbol Bl & the Rubbol BL Satura water based satin coat and been very pleased with the results.

However yesterday applied the BL primer to a hardwood internal sill and skirting (looks like mahogany) and think I can see the beginnings of some discolouration or bleed through.

Just wondered what you guys think is the best sealer / stain blocker to put on before I go too far. Is a water based one ok?

Thanks
J

Sponsored Links
I find the best primer for hardwood (which is usually a bit oily) is spirit based Aluminium Wood Primer (it dries grey, not silver).

It also seals knots and is very durable outdoors.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for your replys,

Just a bit more info - the hardwood I am going over has previously been coated with a wood stain or coloured varnish and my rubbing down has exposed some some of the wood. i also have some more to do.

Will the water based Sikkens Rubbol BL Primer and Rubbol BL Satura be ok over the Zinsser BIN or Alu primer.

Thanks
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back