DULUX SATINWOOD YELLOWING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice please. Been using this stuff and it's started yellowing after a couple of months(believe this is a common problem with this paint now).

I think I'm going to buy either Sikken Rubbol BL Satura or Johnstones Acrylic Satin as I've heard good reviews about both of these.

Would I be able to put these on top of Dulux Satinwood after I have sanded it as obviously they are water based and Satinwood is not? Or would I have to prep wood with something prior?

Or can someone recommend a satin finish paint that won't yellow and that I could put on top of Satinwood.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can put Dulux Trade Diamond on top of oil-based satinwood as it is self-undercoating (rub down well first). Or you could undercoat Johnstone's Acryli c satinwood with their own (or another reputable make of) water-based undercoat.

Thanks for advice is the dulux trade satinwood a lot better than the normal stuff then?

Also, I've read on some other posts I can just rub down the satinwood and apply a couple of coats acrylic on top.

I take it you would recommend u/c first?

Thanks for advice is the dulux trade satinwood a lot better than the normal stuff then?

Also, I've read on some other posts I can just rub down the satinwood and apply a couple of coats acrylic on top.

I take it you would recommend u/c first?
Dulux DIAMOND Satinwood is good.

You can do as you have suggested if the paint advertises itself ass 'self-undercoating'. Otherwise, you should rub down first, apply undercoat, lightly sand then topcoat.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Looking for some advice please. Been using this stuff and it's started yellowing after a couple of months(believe this is a common problem with this paint now).

what colour was the tin lid, do you know?

Wish I'd known that a few months ago. Don't think I've seen this stuff with a blue lid.

if you go to b&q you'll see they have navy blue lids now. could write a letter of complaint to dulux.

Thanks for info. I've e-mailed them a couple times without any reply. To be honest I think I might steer clear of dulux from now on. Apart from paint cost it's more the time spent prepping everything that's annoying me. If they don't reply that will make me worse, I kinda get like "a dog with a bone" with this kinda stuff.

They should take this stuff off the shelf if they know there is a problem with it. They'll just expect people to put up with it or ignore till they go away.

I won't do either.

Thanks again, very helpful forum.

Spot on, or a pup with a baffy. Only thing I hate more than cr*p products is cr*p customer service.

My dad was a scot - always going on about his 'baffies' - that's 'slippers' to the rest of us.

Correct, must've been a good lad then? Canna beat a pair o baffies. first time I heard that saying a mate in work was talking about a bit of stuff saying "he'd be like a pup wi a baffy". Hilarious, I was in stitches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back