Dulux Satinwood paint reacting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're using Dulux Satinwood paint for metal and wood. It's the water based one and not the solvent based variety. It seems to react with the paint beneath it especially on factory primed MDF. I think we're going to change what paint we're using so I'm looking for recommendations. We used to use Dulux Once solvent based but found it yellows too easily. What do you use that is water based, non yellowing and has a satin finish that will not react with primers and fillers?

Sponsored Links
I’ve recently been using this paint

and the accompanying primer

to paint bare wood and bare mdf. 2 coats of the primer and one coat of paint has gone on fine. Haven’t tried the paint over factory primed mdf yet.
Have also used the paint to recoat painted wood. Gave it a good sanding and paint went on fine, but took two coats. Can’t comment on its durability/aging.

If painting over a previously painted surface that has had some 'history', sometimes I am tempted to clean and sand, the use a solvent-based undercoat, before applying the water-based.

Just really seal over all the old stuff, and to cover the primed mdf.

You need to be sure the solvent-based is properly dried or cured before using the water-based ideally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back