Water based Polyurethane varnish recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have solid bamboo flooring which we're laying in part of our bathroom. Manufactures state it is suitable for bathrooms as long as it is painted with a polyurethane varnish to seal it. Any recomendations for a good quality water based one, the area to be varnished is only 2 square meters and I was going to use a roller to apply it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Never heard of a water based one. Don't think it is soluble in water, hence its waterproof qualities.

That may be why I'm having trouble finding them but I've found at least one, Johnstone's do a quick drying one. The trouble with oil based is yellowing and one I found described the varnish as mellow which makes me think it will alter the finish of the bamboo which is something I don't want.

Never heard of a water based one.

Seriously?!? :rolleyes: :sneaky:

@Kitsune

Try looking at Johnstone's Woodworks water based polyurethane floor varnish. I've only used it a few times and was happy with the results. You will have to check if it's suitable for bathrooms though because, this is where joe-90 has a point, it may not be suitable for floors subjected to a lot of water.

EDIT:
Ah, you already beat me to it. ;)

Rustoleum used to do a good one but I can't remember the exact name.

FURTHER EDIT:
The Rustoleum is in their Varathane range.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks misterhelpful no mention on the data sheet about bathrooms, but it shouldn't get a lot of water on it anyway. Failing that is there an oil based one that definitely won't yellow or change the appearance of the bamboo.

The Rustoleum appears difficult to get hold of in the uk

If it were polyurethane it wouldn't be water based !

It would, but maybe not in the way traditionalist PU users would recognise. Oil based and water based are still both PU's, regardless of what people believe, but they obviously have different chemical properties.
When you imply it wouldn't be PU, you are talking about the traditional hard wearing, hard finish, oil version which has always been regarded as 'real' PU. Many cheap/poor quality water based PU's will give nowhere near the same finish as oil, but in some circumstances, such as when trying to keep the original look and colour of a timber, a good quality, modern water based version should be up to the job. You also have to remember that oil based PU can sometimes be too brittle and will end up cracking and crazing with the expansion and contraction of some timbers.
Also, oil based PU is being gradually phased out in preference of water based, and there are countless versions out there, so we need to get used to it.

Last edited:
Thanks misterhelpful no mention on the data sheet about bathrooms, but it shouldn't get a lot of water on it anyway. Failing that is there an oil based one that definitely won't yellow or change the appearance of the bamboo.

The Rustoleum appears difficult to get hold of in the uk

I used the Varathane in the UK once but only on a small maple table, which looked fabulous. I think it may have been bought by the customer (a very fussy friend of mine) on ebay but a good trade outlet might be able to get a hold of it or, at the very least, recommend a good product - just stay away from anything found on the shelves of the DIY outlets.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back