Water based satin poor finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just used Dulux Trade Diamond satin water based on a widow sill and radiator after 2 coats of a primer/undercoat.
I'm struggling to get a decent finish despite using a quality synthetic brush and damping the surface, the paint is dragging and refuses to flow. The finish is very poor.
Should I have simply applied to the existing old gloss surface or have I used the wrong primer/undercoat and/or the wrong brand of satin?
Any suggestions for the best satin brand welcome!
Help please, I have a large amount to do!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 2nd coat will go on much better. On top of primer/undercoat you will have very little time to work with satin. It may help to add a drop of water and whatever you do, don't overwork it. Get it on quick and move along.
It does have a real tendency to drag as it's trying to dry quickly. The 2nd coat going on itself will be much easier and shouldn't drag as much!

Thanks Chivas,
I've just done a test on an old cupboard door gloss painted and the Satin went on quite easily and the finish is far better so perhaps I don't need a primer /undercoat, just 2 coats of satin?
Any recommends for which brand of Satin please?

I'd stick with the diamond as it has something in it which helps it adhere to surfaces better.
I personally would undercoat first but it will probably be ok.

Sponsored Links
Maybe use undercoat instead of primer/undercoat, seems the latter is preventing the brush from flowing the paint.

Primer/undercoat is fine, you just have to be quick. The 2nd coat will then finish the job. You should only need one coat of primer/uc though.

Use the recommended uc for the product.
Use a roller to apply then either leave it, or tip off with a brush...
Satin won't stick well without a uc on

There are better paints that are easier to use but cost puts many off

Use the recommended uc for the product.
Use a roller to apply then either leave it, or tip off with a brush...
Satin won't stick well without a uc on

There are better paints that are easier to use but cost puts many off

Not concerned with cost ,just want the best finish and easiest application, which better paints
please?

Scuff-x is probably best on market at the moment

That's certainly a "money no object " paint!
4.5 litres for £100.
Any other thoughts ?
Thanks

Just use the diamond you already have. If you want to you can use the recommended primer/undercoat which is the dulux trade quick dry undercoat. However I'd use the one you already have.
The diamond satin is a great paint and very durable once dry.

Just done a second coat which did indeed go on easier but can't get the finish that I could get with the old oil based gloss . I am used to a finish like glass!
Does oil based satin yellow like oil based gloss and is it easier to apply?
Thanks all

That's certainly a "money no object " paint!
4.5 litres for £100.
Any other thoughts ?
Thanks
You get what you pay for.

Aqua gard or Little green is nice. Not as good though

Thought this might be of interest
Found 3 tins about 12 months old ,stored out of daylight drips on tin-result-
Johnstones Aqua Satin Brilliant White water based , very pronounced yellow and yellow in tin.
Dulux Diamond trade satin Brilliant white water based , still very white
Johnstones oil based gloss Brilliant white, very dark ,nasty yellow.
So is Johnstones Aqua Guard a different product than Aqua satin, has it changed?
Is it worth trying a water based gloss?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back