Water-based 'Stain Block'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm used to using solvent-based 'stain blockers' (or, more cheaply, just oil-based undercoat) to prevent stains (e.g. 'water marks) showing through paint or wallpaper - and it makes sense that they work.

However, I've noticed that there are some water-based 'stain blocks' around - such as 'Dulux Trade Stain Block Primer' and Wickes 'Interior Damp Seal'. The concept of a water-based stain blocker sounds a little odd to me - do they actually work (i.e. do what it says on the tin)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Zinsser Bullsye 123 water based been around for years swear by it. Does most stains but Zinsser BIN for knots or really stubborn stains.

Zinsser Bullsye 123 water based been around for years swear by it. Does most stains but Zinsser BIN for knots or really stubborn stains.
Interesting. Thanks. I guess my 'intuition' is not necessarily correct, then! I wonder if other brans of water-based also work reasonably well?

Kind Regards, John

The Zinsser 123 is a good product but quite odd in that it looks thin on top of a stain as though it hasn't really worked. However when you paint over it with emulsion (or I guess what ever you're using) the stain then won't show

Sponsored Links
The Zinsser 123 is a good product but quite odd in that it looks thin on top of a stain as though it hasn't really worked. However when you paint over it with emulsion (or I guess what ever you're using) the stain then won't show
Thanks. Are other water-based ones similar in that respect, or don't you have any experience of them?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, I don't know. I used to use the other Zinsser footprints mentioned but bought the water based one once to do a whole ceiling. I've used it 2/3 times since.

As said it locks the stain in to prevent it migrating through the paint, on dark stains two coats (it dries in an hour) will block it even better.

I used the Zinsser 123 last week and it didn't stop the water stain at all. Went over with Zinsser Coverstain and that stopped it.

I used the Zinsser 123 last week and it didn't stop the water stain at all. Went over with Zinsser Coverstain and that stopped it.

Out of interest, did you try to overpainting the 123 though? As I was saying, it always seems to look like it hasn't worked and you could be forgiven for thinking that.

I did yes, it was a white emulsion painted ceiling with a water leak from boiler in room above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back