Water butt in direct sunlight - will it smell?!

Sponsored Links
only if you put water in it

Well, that's good to know :LOL:

Perhaps I could start a craze for empty water butts? Fill it in with concrete or something?

...back on topic, will it smell if it's filled with water and in sunlight?

The water will smell, the butt will not smell, the smell from the water will only be noticed if you remove the lid or drain water off

Sponsored Links
The water will smell, the butt will not smell, the smell from the water will only be noticed if you remove the lid or drain water off

That's fine, I can cope with that. I imagine there will be some treatments available to put in it too, if it gets really bad.

....obviously be careful what you put in it if you are going to water plants
...we have loads of them (due to large pond which need refilling and extortionate water rates in the South West....but that's another story :) ) never had problem with them... and they are facing all directions.
Just use the water in it as often you can....any water left to stand too long will go stagnant.

You can buy silver things to put in to reduce growth. Copper is also supposed to work though so I would just throw in a few copper coins. My supervisor uses them in a cell culture incubator to save buying chemicals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back