Water By-Laws - Is a gravity fed toilet cistern allowed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a new bathroom suite - installed okay.
However, the toilet fill valve is very slow (5-10 mins fill time). It's gravity fed (2m head) not mains. As mentioned in an earlier post to this forum.

My supplier tells me that it is against water by-laws to sell a new wc with a valve that can use a gravity fed supply. And will not replace the valve with a suitable replacement. Even though I can get a torbeck / fluidmaster valve that can do this.

Is this true ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound right- but what sort of valve have you got in there then?
Service valve fully open?

Didn't sound right to me too - hence the post. And the service valve is fully open, flushed before installing valve, no dirt in valve etc.

The valve btw is a bottom entry plastic float valve. See my previous post for a pic:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25196&highlight=

I've checked the WRAS website for details of the regs, but it makes no mention of using a mains/pressureised supply only.

If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Not the surety of answer your looking for but sounds tosh to me. Just replaced 2 loos with new ones, one mains fed (fills in about 20secs) and one gravity fed from cold tank (fills in about 40secs with about 1.5 to 2mtr max head). Not sure what make of valves as didn't need to look; they came fitted from MFI. Looking at your valve, if anything, they ought not to be selling anything but dual flush too.

Sponsored Links
On your float arm there may be a plastic cone attached. You normally get 2 of these , one for hi pressure and 1 for low.
Low one has a bigger hole to allow more water thru.
Open up your valve at the large round nut and swop it for the larger bore one.
May be just blocked with limescale. :D

I'm with Bahco. Its definately ok to fit to gravity (did my waters regs exam last week- whoopee!) but the bit that threw me was the 'not allowed to sell bit'- but he has sold you one? Again with Bahco- check the hp restrictor's not in there.

BAHCO, as with bathjobby the valve came pre-fitted, so no extra bits.

I've already taken the valve apart (see my old post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25196&highlight= ).
There isn't a removable 'cone' just a diaphram that uses water pressure to lift it. No dirt / limescale, as it's new.

I bought the suite from a seller - who sells alot of baths and showers etc on ebay. What are the odds that, if I threaten to give him negative feedback, he'll send me a replacement ? ;)

its the float valve that is restricted as its a high pressure one and I dont think you can make them ones low pressure!!!

corgiman said:
Its the float valve that is restricted as it is a high pressure one

If this is the case, stop messing about a buy a low pressure one.
Pick one up for less than a tenner. :D

Yes, I know it's a cheap thing to replace. But when you buy something, you expect it to work within reason. And to the specifications - as advertised. Not to specs you are told later. And I didn't expect the salesman to start 'making-up' water regulations to fit in with what he'd sold. :eek:

I know now that it is a mains-ONLY valve, and cant be 'fixed' - so thanks all for your help.

And have told the supplier to ship me a new low-pressure valve - OR ELSE !!!
;)

Maybe you can ask your supplier to state suitability for which systems in the future.
I agree that Joe public would not know which type to fit. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back