Water collecting in drum of Whirlpool washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again. You were brilliant with your help for my wc cistern, now I am hoping for some advice for my washing machine.

I have a Whirlpool AWM 820 which has been working fine for 12 years. It only gets light use, just for myself. The spin empties the water and the clothes are dried damp enough for me to put them on an airer.

Recently I have noticed that - over a period of several days - water rises in the bottom of the drum and on one occasion has reached the lip and nearly overflowed on to the floor.

The machine is in a lobby next to the back door, with its own pipe to the outside drain.

If you can think of a solution, please talk to me as a total novice because that is what I am. :(

Sponsored Links
presuming the water is clear, it will be it needs a new fill valves.

easy solution / prove a point turn off the water at the blue and red taps after use

Here's a pic of the pipes, I think they are plumbed into the bath taps other side of the wall. They are very green at the bottom ..

Can you tell me what to do? I have no idea where to start. I have tried turning the red and blue plastic flaps but not sure which way, and they won't move. I'm scared of breaking something by applying too much force.

DSC00039.jpg

the taps can get "stiff"
as they point at the minute they are pointing in the flow direction
i would guess you want to turn them 90 degrees anti clockwise , so they point across the pipe

"They" is the lever on the tap

Sponsored Links
Right. With a small pair of pliers and Very Carefully I have turned them off.

Now I'll wait and see what happens.

dont forget to turn them both back on before you use it again

Breezer - do you think I might manage by doing this each time I use the machine, for a bit longer? Or even a lot longer?

By the way, thanks for your very clear directions.

apart from being a PITA to get to i dont see why not.

if i am right (99% sure i am) you could then try turning off one tap not 2

that way you will find out which is letting by water.

if it still fills turn off the other one instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back