Water coming in via Long Drop Windows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some long drop windows at the front (north facing) of our house, and its been an ongoing problem with heavy rain downpours, that we get water leak/seep into the wood on the inside?

The builder who put these in has suddenly gone AWOL after re-sealing them twice! and water is still getting in! So cannot get hold of him at all..

I thought I'd turn to DIYnot'ers to see if they could help?

I have attached pics as it seems to just form a puddle / pool on the inside. The builder assured us that the windows were taken out, re-sealed etc but it obviously hasn't been.

My personal view is that water bounces off or gets into the outside lintel at the bottom (pics with the pebbles) which is the same height as a the frame opposite indoors where the water forms.

Would a clear waterproof membrane (so its not visible against the wood) work or is available to close the seal on the outside so water would just run away outside and off the wood? (almost like clear weatherproof cellophane that i could attach to the very bottom of the join so its water tight?)

He says he sealed it many times and that doesn't seem to work so was thinking of this as a solution.

Or what if I seal the inside window seal at the bottom? (it looks dark but its not open if that makes sense)

So i think it maybe the outside lintel bar at the bottom that is the culprit?

Any help would be fantastic, thank you.

IMG_0848.JPG image4.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpeg IMG_0848.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0856.JPG

Sponsored Links
Don't stress, keep it simple and buy some quality external external silicone.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-corning-791-weatherproofing-silicone-sealant-brown-310ml/76697

Run a line of silicone along the glass and wood joint, once you tape off the glass and wood area where they join. In a nutshell, you want to create a continuos seal outside; it appears the joiners have simply placed the window beads against the glass, to hold it in place, and not glued it, as we all do. :/

Thank you!

I will get some of that silicone asap!

So your picture, is that to show what they haven't done? or to show me to remove the beads outside and seal behind them?

As mentioned I think this maybe coming from the bottom and seeping through as it doesn't 'drip' as such and seeps in to form a small perfect puddle.

Thank you for your help! :) I just want to make sure I get this correct as its been an ongoing issue for a while as you can tell and I don't want the wood to rot (even though its coated)

Apparently I also need to do all window frames with TEAK SX-70 Sovereign once every 4 years too, to weatherpoof the wood we have. http://www.sovchem.co.uk/sfa1-master.html

Would you recommend this? and is it easy to apply? I hear its not just a case of painting on, but also it needs removing and wiping off after its been applied?

Thank you for your help! :)

Sponsored Links
So your picture, is that to show what they haven't done? or to show me to remove the beads outside and seal behind them?

If you have the know how, I'd suggest remove and refit, keeping in mind not to use excessive force, with glass nearby.

Last edited:
Would you recommend this? and is it easy to apply? I hear its not just a case of painting on, but also it needs removing and wiping off after its been applied?

It's not just an average wood stain, and the data sheet only backs this up, and it's good priced too.

Techinique is to: Brush it into the wood, keep the brush strokes straight. Wipe off as you see how to as shown in this video.

Cover the floor with a large cloth, and wear latex gloves, as this is solvent based.

Simply, yes.

Keep it neat too; Just be aware not to get any silicone on the frame face; it'll block the woodstain from penetrating the wood.

I forgot to mention, use white spirit to clean the white residue off the wood before you start, using a rag and wearing latex gloves.

Latex gloves are understated among DIYers; Dermatitis is not something anyone wants.

Thanks for this, and I am looking at getting out there to reseal but if you look at the pics, it looks like it the water sits in a pool at the bottom, and theres no evidence of if dripping up from where the glass is?

This seems to only affect the front (north face) of the house.

There is a wooden part before the glass starts and in the pictures the very bottom wood base is wet with a clearly visible pool of rain water.

Do I need to forget sealing the glass, (as I was told it had been done twice) and maybe seal internally along the bottom floor wood seal/join?
Can I get waterproof internal (clear) sealant that would stop this water?

Thoughts?
IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4398.JPG IMG_4395.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back