water coming through floorboards

A

alsheating

Hi there I have a problem,

Just took of carpets to fit laminate floors, but when it rains the floor appear to be damp, and last time it rained heavy, where the bay window is, the boards touching the wall seem to have had wter seeping in like blotting paper, there was also a small patch where it sems water was coming up the baord about 2-3 feet away from bay window, and created a small pool about a foot size, I could clearly see the water. also just above the bay windows, there are patches of damp a brownish colour.

any advice on what this could be, I will take pictures later and post them.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like rainwater is penetrating from outside. Could be window sills, pointing. downpipe etc. Probably a simple fix but once fixed it should have drying time.

drip groove of upstaris window is covered with pebbledash, how I am gonna rectify this, this explains the damp inside above the window in living room, but what about water coming thorugh floorboards, could that be same reason

who do I call regarding tis, who will not rip me off and charge me an arm and a leg for the wrong fix.

You need to stop the water penetration even if that means chopping off the dash to allow the drip groove to do it's job. You can do the cosmetics later, even though the lack of a drip groove shouldn't cause problems like this.

I gather you are having problems at ground floor level and the window you're talking about is 1st floor level? please explain.

Having done that, just wait for another downpour to see what happens..or get the hose pipe out.. It may well be something else but it's a process of elimmination for now to find the source of water.

Sponsored Links
drip groove of upstaris window is covered with pebbledash, how I am gonna rectify this, this explains the damp inside above the window in living room, but what about water coming thorugh floorboards, could that be same reason

who do I call regarding tis, who will not rip me off and charge me an arm and a leg for the wrong fix.

allah

Yes it is raining today, and I shall wait until tomorrow to check it out again, and post pics with a better explanation of whats going on....but it does seem to be damper the wood floorboards when it rains.....this is on ground floor...and above the groundfloor window near the cieling I get patches on wall which seems to be browninsh in colour,,,,so I am assuming the dampness above is coming from above somewhere, maybe through the exterior wall between the two windows of the bay...the floor which is getting damp and once I found wet with water visible tiny amount,,,,I am struggling with....if it does help....the water left a limescale mark when dried. I am hoping it is rainwater.....

What is above the bay - what sort of roof (flat? tiled? slated?) Where does the water from this run off to - gutter or an inbuilt hole in a flat roof?

Worth getting your mate skitz to help you out here - one of you hold the ladder while the other gets up there.

no roof on bay, as the above window is bay shap, so there is a vertical wall between ground floor and 1st floor window which is bay shaped.

Have you lifted a floor board and looked under ?

Outside has anyone gone above the dpc with earth, grit, stone, pebbles etc ?

Does the outside ground area have a natural run away from the building (try a bucket of water and see!).

Would you take some pictures of the bay from outside and post the others you mentioned you'd take.

I will do this in a bit, just waiting for my digi cams battery to charge

The limescale you mentioned is probably salts that water collects from the brickwork as it evaporates into your room. You wouldn't get this from a one off downpour, more a long established damp problem. Rising damp, penetrating damp or both.

Check the dash for cracks and tap it to see if it sounds hollow.

I am thinking it is a long term problem....as when the contractor took the carpets off he said it was all wet around the bay area...got the pics and I am uploading them now...they pointed to the gaps between the window sills I have silconned the gaps up, and any cracks I have sealed up with silicon and mortar, also the gaps between sills and dash

View media item 21081this is the bay esterior, the white stuff is ant powder ants are everywhere, in summer I saw ants coming in through the insed and there were quite a few, queens aswell. in fact there are quite a lot of ants around

View media item 21083exterior, I had the gutters changed thinking that was the cause, but they were asbestos anyhow, i sealed the crack can you see

View media item 21082living room, can you see the brown patches, have come out a bit light in the picture

View media item 21080can you see the white limescale mark line.. just to the left of where the white line ends and its not visisble on this pic is a white stain where water seems to have come up vertically, and I saw a wet patch which has since dried to leave a limescale mark.

View media item 21079a close up looks like it is from exterior, do you think its rain water, as this mark was left last time it rained heavy, it was wet when i saw it first....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back