Uneven floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay laminate flooring across old floorboards. The floor is nice and level but suddenly rises into a bay window by about 1cm. I have tried planing down but this is not working. I wonder wether I could replace the floorboards in the bay(ie the higher bit) with hardboard of a thickness of approx. 15mm which will leave the two levels flush. However I am concerned that this may not be thick enough to support heavy traffic. Please help as this problem is really holding everything up. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Safehouse said:
I could replace the floorboards in the bay(ie the higher bit) with hardboard of a thickness of approx. 15mm
Instead of hardboard use plywood which is 10 times stronger and the nearest thickness to 15mm you want is 12mm plywood or you can take the floorboards up and shave off the floorjoists to the correct level then replace the floorboards back again.To be honest 1cm floor level rise properly won't be noticeable unless it's a sudden rise,have to tried laying the laminated flooring temporary to see if it's noticeable ?

I have bitten the bullet and will start to shave the floorboards back tomorrow. It is a sudden rise and very noticeable when you lay a piece of laminate over it.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
A floor sander would be easier than planing but the cost of hire as well or a heavy duty belt sander.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back