Water detecting pump controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, can anyone recommend a water detector that controls a relay that can switch on/off a 240vac water pump?

I have a slight flooding problem in the cellar and want to use an old central heating pump controlled by an automatic water detection circuit to pump it out when it rains in & floods.

Something simple that does not have any pics etc that need programming.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Better off with a 240v sub pump with a float switch. Set it in a sump, it'll switch on as required, soon shift the water!

Yes better off but also much poorer :D
A sump pump will cost in excess of £50.

I already have a pump, I already have piping.
I just need something to detect the water & switch on the pump.

Sponsored Links
Why wont the heating pump work?

It only has to lift water 5 foot, its not full of crud.

Heating 'pumps' AFAIK dont pump! They circulate the water. Bear in mind once the system is filled, they remain full of water during operation, so I think they effectively push water around the system. If you switched one on and put your hand over the inlet side I dont think you would be able to feel any suction. A pump for your situation would need to be self priming, i.e. not need to be filled (primed) with water before its started.

(I have been on sites where supposed self priming diesel water pumps have needed a bucket of water tipped into the outlet to get them going. One fella didnt get out the way quick enough and it promptly blasted him with ice cold muddy water!!!)

OK cheers.

Something to try then before I go any further I suppose, see if it will actually do anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back