Water dispenser on a fridges - worth having?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to buy a new fridge freezer (standalone, not connected).

Wondering if we should get one with a water dispenser.
Will be great to have.
The only problem I see is the build up of grime over time that becomes hard or impossible to clean - the same way you have the problem for washing machines and dishwashers.

Someone else told me that they had their one for years with no problems.

Just looking for some opinions
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only problem I see is the build up of grime over time that becomes hard or impossible to clean - the same way you have the problem for washing machines and dishwashers.

For that reason alone, I wouldn't have one in the house. Stored in a bottle, in the fridge, the bottle can be adequately cleaned.

Sponsored Links
Do you currently drink a lot of cold water?
If not then that answers your question with a why?

I suppose it's a nice to have, Mrs Mercury won't drink tap water by choice anyway and they can take a bit of valuable volume out of the fridge.
Will need plumbing in to a water supply.
Don't some just have a reservoir on the back of the door?

Thanks for the replies guys.
The dilemma goes on: some say I will have dirt build up problems... while others say not.

I prefer to just put a bottle of water in the fridge when I want cold water - well thats when I dont drink it from the tap - so not often

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
I prefer to just put a bottle of water in the fridge when I want cold water - well thats when I dont drink it from the tap - so not often

I never touch the stuff, it is just far too wet!

Our caravan came with a water filter, to filter out the nasties from the water system - suggested to be an annual replacement job. One of my first jobs when I bought the caravan was to remove the filter. I didn't like the idea of drinking water passing through a filter, which might sit there moist for months on end unused, breeding germs. My water system has a dump valve, which dumps all of the water out of the pipes and the water heater. I dump water on leaving site, leaving the valve open until I get home, then close it. Any dregs of water will drain on the trip home.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
I never touch the stuff, it is just far too wet!

Our caravan came with a water filter, to filter out the nasties from the water system - suggested to be an annual replacement job. One of my first jobs when I bought the caravan was to remove the filter. I didn't like the idea of drinking water passing through a filter, which might sit there moist for months on end unused, breeding germs. My water system has a dump valve, which dumps all of the water out of the pipes and the water heater. I dump water on leaving site, leaving the valve open until I get home, then close it. Any dregs of water will drain on the trip home.
That is something I have been thinking of fitting to our old camper, swmbo does not like the taste of water down south. Did you find it removed the impurities that they claim to? I would drain down the tank after use the same as you.

That is something I have been thinking of fitting to our old camper, swmbo does not like the taste of water down south. Did you find it removed the impurities that they claim to? I would drain down the tank after use the same as you.

I never even tested it, I simply took it out and fitted a bypass, but I would doubt it making any difference to the taste. It would filter grit out. I never buy bottled water, but your partner could maybe buy that or take some water for drinking with you.

I never even tested it, I simply took it out and fitted a bypass, but I would doubt it making any difference to the taste. It would filter grit out. I never buy bottled water, but your partner could maybe buy that or take some water for drinking with you.
Yes that is what we end up doing once the tank we fill at home has emptied, but large bottles of water take up a lot of our limited space. They claim to remove chlorine & other chemicals which is what I presume affects the taste of water in the South of England compared to ours.

We are using Myvision T3DX and very satisfied with this water bottle dispenser. It pumps fast and has long battery life, easy to install. It is convenient and certainly less expensive than another water purifier.

Last edited:
Sooner have an Ice Maker than water cooler in a big 'Fridge. Thing I miss from living and working in the USA.

Both Ice or water needs to be filtered - ideally change once per year.

Depending on where you are a water filter jug is what I prefer.

Have had both plumbed and reservoir models , both are very easy to clean , ( reservoir model is completely removable).
Just make sure has child lock option , our 4 year old foster kid found it made a great shower for him and his 2year old side kick .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back