Water doesn't go all the way around the bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the problem of the water not reaching the front of the toilet - leaving behind anything that was on that part. I've cleaned the rim and there wasn't much calcium carbonate there in the first place.
However, feeling all the way around the rim, I found a white dense plastic object where the water comes from the cistern into the bowl. This is loose and too big to pull out downwards. My wife is adamant that she has only ever used the soluble bleach blocks, so what could this be, and how can I remove it (if I SHOULD remove it - it might be meant to be there)?
Can anyone help on this, please?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it's possibly a spreader - unusual on a standard pan but designed to 'push' the flush round the underside of the rim.

Other possibility - if it's a close coupled pan has something fallen into the top entry on the pan and wedged itself?

Have you put a spirit level on the pan? If it has a tilt back towards the wall, then water may not reach the front and an uneven flush can result.

Sounds like something has been stuck like you say. I've pulled stuff out of the spreader before, normally when kids put stuff in the cistern and it gets pulled through and blocks the spreader. You may need some ingenuity and patients if you want to fix it. Otherwise a new pan.

Sponsored Links
I didn't know about spreaders. Are they supposed to be loose - or has mine come away? It looks like a tube - which suggests that it should be attached to a pipe. Is that the case?

The spreader is the moulding at the top outlet of the pan with the holes around the rim and is part of the pan and should not be loose or plastic. Sound like foreign media stuck to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back