Water escaping from WC pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing a strange problem over about the past 3 months.

After the WC is flushed the water falls gradually over the next hour so until it is just above the start of the S-bend. It doesn't fall any further, presumably because it will just suck air instead.

I am used to this happening when there is a strong wind which causes suction in the pipework when it blows across the top of the vent pipe. But for the past 3 months it happens all the time.

There is no sign of a leak around the base of the WC. There is no blockage in the sewer pipe. Finally, in order to remove any doubt about the vent pipe, I placed a plastic bag over the top of the vent pipe and nothing has changed.

The water level falls about 2cm per half hour until it reaches the beginning of the S-bend.

I'd be very grateful for a solution because I can anticipate, when we are away for any length of time that we shall be greeted by some pretty horrible smells on our return.

Justasking

Sponsored Links
It is normal for you to lose some water from your toilet when it is windy.

Why do you think this is excessive :?:

Sponsored Links
Because it has been dead calm for the past 48 hours and certainly hasn't been windy continuously for the past 3 months.

This is usualy caused by a partial blockage,
So even if you have checked the chambers they won't be full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back