water filter joints leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

ive installed these filters and associated pipework. Everything is fine apart from the compression end that tightens into the filter. I've put 8-30 wraps of PTFE tape but the one of them is still seeping. I've pulled everything apart 5 times now and tried different number of PTFE wraps. It's a pain each time as all the pipe work is snug fit. Help please.

Attachments

• WP_20180107_09_24_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180107_09_24_41_Pro.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 289
  • WP_20180107_09_24_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180107_09_24_34_Pro.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
Did you use the correct NPT fittings as previously advised ?
Or did you assume BSP fittings with the same thread count would suffice ?

Use gas ptfe tape as its thicker and wrap it so half the tape is on the "lip" and half on the thread, creating a washer affect if that makes sense.

It usually works for me. Failing that, use plumbers putty suitable for potable water.

I gave up with the earlier filters that had the NPT fittings as no matter how much PTFE tape I applied, they leaked!

These have BSP threads and are better but still very frustrating as I just expected it to work much like all the different compression fittings in the pipework I posted. I did those up once and everything worked. Rant over!

ive got some plumbers mait. Shall I use that in conjunction with PTFE tape? Also, how many wraps of PTFE tape do you advise?

alternatively, should I get gas ptfe tape and try that first?

Sponsored Links
Outside chance you`ve used too much force and now the plastic housing has a crack?

I gave up with the earlier filters that had the NPT fittings as no matter how much PTFE tape I applied, they leaked!

These have BSP threads and are better but still very frustrating as I just expected it to work much like all the different compression fittings in the pipework I posted. I did those up once and everything worked. Rant over!

Compression fittings with olives and the other fittings in to plastic require different amounts of tightness.

the cracking thought did cross my mind but there is no evidence of it

does this sort of thing always work first time for you pros? It seems hit and miss and it's an absolute pain to undo everything each time. Need some wisdom please

does this sort of thing always work first time for you pros? It seems hit and miss and it's an absolute pain to undo everything each time. Need some wisdom please
It`s called experience Jupiter, I`m sure most people have used excessive force in the beginning, I for one can put my hand up. :rolleyes:

I did a lot of compression fittings 10 years ago in my house and all went perfect first time.

Did some more recently and had a nightmare sealing them up, came to the conclusion the quality of the copper pipe/ olives and fittings are not really what they were even 10 years ago.

Might invest in a soldering kit if I have to do any more plumbing work in the future bht that wouldn't help with your plastic fittings.

Last compression joints I ended up setting the position of the olive, pulling the pipe back out and then 10 wraps of PTFE tape over the olive. Shouldn't have to though..

Thanks guys. I appreciate this comes down to experience but do I need to try something and then plumb it all in before testing and then potentially repeating? I did try doing one filter at a time too but the small leaks are sometimes not apparent for several hours. It's a tiny weep

Also, is the ptfe tape with jetline my best bet? How many wraps of PTFE tape do you suggest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back