1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

water filter joints leaking!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Jupiter01, 7 Jan 2018.

1. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,

ive installed these filters and associated pipework. Everything is fine apart from the compression end that tightens into the filter. I've put 8-30 wraps of PTFE tape but the one of them is still seeping. I've pulled everything apart 5 times now and tried different number of PTFE wraps. It's a pain each time as all the pipe work is snug fit. Help please.

Attached Files:

2. Jackrae

Jackrae

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you use the correct NPT fittings as previously advised ?
    Or did you assume BSP fittings with the same thread count would suffice ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. gasbusters

gasbusters

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use gas ptfe tape as its thicker and wrap it so half the tape is on the "lip" and half on the thread, creating a washer affect if that makes sense.

It usually works for me. Failing that, use plumbers putty suitable for potable water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I gave up with the earlier filters that had the NPT fittings as no matter how much PTFE tape I applied, they leaked!

These have BSP threads and are better but still very frustrating as I just expected it to work much like all the different compression fittings in the pipework I posted. I did those up once and everything worked. Rant over!

ive got some plumbers mait. Shall I use that in conjunction with PTFE tape? Also, how many wraps of PTFE tape do you advise?

alternatively, should I get gas ptfe tape and try that first?

5. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Loctite 55 is the answer. Once you've discovered this, you don't go back to PTFE ever.

6. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No. That's not what Mait is designed for, it's too thick...if you're going to use any kind of paste, get some Jetlube or similar

7. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Outside chance you`ve used too much force and now the plastic housing has a crack?

8. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Compression fittings with olives and the other fittings in to plastic require different amounts of tightness.

9. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the cracking thought did cross my mind but there is no evidence of it

10. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    does this sort of thing always work first time for you pros? It seems hit and miss and it's an absolute pain to undo everything each time. Need some wisdom please

11. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Remove the filter with the fitting in place and examine closely with a magnifying glass.

12. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It`s called experience Jupiter, I`m sure most people have used excessive force in the beginning, I for one can put my hand up. :rolleyes:

13. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We've all had problems with joints over the years. Especially fine plastic threads of indeterminate provenance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Keithmac

Keithmac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did a lot of compression fittings 10 years ago in my house and all went perfect first time.

Did some more recently and had a nightmare sealing them up, came to the conclusion the quality of the copper pipe/ olives and fittings are not really what they were even 10 years ago.

Might invest in a soldering kit if I have to do any more plumbing work in the future bht that wouldn't help with your plastic fittings.

Last compression joints I ended up setting the position of the olive, pulling the pipe back out and then 10 wraps of PTFE tape over the olive. Shouldn't have to though..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. I appreciate this comes down to experience but do I need to try something and then plumb it all in before testing and then potentially repeating? I did try doing one filter at a time too but the small leaks are sometimes not apparent for several hours. It's a tiny weep

Also, is the ptfe tape with jetline my best bet? How many wraps of PTFE tape do you suggest?