water filter joints leaking!

I did a lot of compression fittings 10 years ago in my house and all went perfect first time.

Last compression joints I ended up setting the position of the olive, pulling the pipe back out and then 10 wraps of PTFE tape over the olive. Shouldn't have to though..

10 wraps on an olive is OTT, surprised the nut didn`t crack! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I appreciate this comes down to experience but do I need to try something and then plumb it all in before testing and then potentially repeating? I did try doing one filter at a time too but the small leaks are sometimes not apparent for several hours. It's a tiny weep

Also, is the ptfe tape with jetline my best bet? How many wraps of PTFE tape do you suggest?
Depends how loose the fitting feels in the fitting if you screw it in by hand first, somewhere around 6-8 wraps perhaps and I use smear of LSX sealant over the tape. Comes in a small tube, bright Yellow box found in most diy sheds.

Your best bet is Loctite 55 with Jetlube, but failing that PTFE might do it (although your limited success so far suggests you might need a superior product...)

Jet lube and others such as only come in a tub, ok if you use it often but for others a tube of LSX is ideal.

Sponsored Links
what's your guidance on how tight these fittings should be? It feels to me that it needs to be tighten all the way in. This can be done by hand when not using PTFE.

what's your guidance on how tight these fittings should be? It feels to me that it needs to be tighten all the way in. This can be done by hand when not using PTFE.
Is it just the one joint out of 4 causing leakage? If so you have to ask why and now I`m wondering if the fitting is hitting the bottom of the hole before the tapered fitting is tight enough to create a seal.

Is it just the one joint out of 4 causing leakage? If so you have to ask why and now I`m wondering if the fitting is hitting the bottom of the hole before the tapered fitting is tight enough to create a seal.

They look like (Or should be) parallel thread fittings that seal on the flange.

Yes with a few wraps on the flange to act as a washer.........As previously suggested.

Make sure the bare fitting will tighten up before using force...... ie ensure adequate thread depth.

They look like (Or should be) parallel thread fittings that seal on the flange.
Fair point having looked at photos again. Take it the leak is on the one with the bucket underneath and the left side is leaking, say this as it looks the most messy joint, almost as if the ptfe tape has unravelled.

Fair point having looked at photos again. Take it the leak is on the one with the bucket underneath and the left side is leaking, say this as it looks the most messy joint, almost as if the ptfe tape has unravelled.

Yes it's that but also the left most fitting on the first filter. My plan based on your feedback is as follows:
- remove associated plumbing work (for the 11th time!)
- inspect for any cracks with the fittings in place
- apply fresh PTFE tape with some of it hanging of the end of the flange end (the visible side as opposed to the end that will be threaded into the filter?) I wil go with 5-7 wraps of PTFE tape as without this I can comfortably hand tighten the fitting
- apply the LSX on the PTFE tape
- screw in so that the flange is resting against the filter
- put pipework together and hope for the best

Feel free to amend my plan guys and thanks for all your help.

update: Steps carried out as advised and initial results suggest that one of the joints has been fixed but the other still has a slight weep. I will re-test tomorrow. I applied at least 6 wraps of PTFE tape but may be slightly more on the one that is fixed. May need to be more liberal with the joint that still appears to be leaking.

Attachments

• WP_20180108_13_36_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180108_13_36_17_Pro.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 252
  • WP_20180108_13_32_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180108_13_32_45_Pro.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 234

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back