Water from a big conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

This is a similar question to one posed on a thread only a few days ago, looking on the forum. However, I never like it if people jump on a thread of mine with their own questions, so thought I'd post a fresh one! :)

I had a pretty big conservatoy built 7 years ago. It's fine. Apart from the problem of where the water goes. Initially, they built it and just left the water coming out on the ground in one corner and called it job done. Then, a while later I got a knock on my door and my neighbour told me his garage was flooded (from this water!). So, I sorted out a massive water butt on the other side of the conservatory. This has been the way of it for years now. I have to constantly empty it. If it rains heavily it will fill it in one go (I can't remember how many litres it is, but it takes about fifteen minutes of continual back and forth to empty it each time). Also, if it rains overnight it overflows onto the concrete by the side of the house. I am sure that this can't be a good thing!? :eek:

A handyman I have used to upgrade out kitchen has told me that he can dig out a soak away. Now, I am worried about that, because it is not possible for this soakaway to be moe than about a metre and a half from the house (due to next door's house being there!). Surely, this is not far enough away? Also, how deep would he have to go? Surely the foundations of the house would be in danger?

My other option is to pull up slabs, and link up the downpipe from the conservatory to the downpipe from the roof of the house. Is this allowed? If so, I'd again be worried that the pipes would be running under the ground and what would happen if there was a leak or blockage? :eek:

Crikey, hope that I haven't gone on for too long there, but that's the gist of my situation. I'd really appreciate some guidance from anyone out there with experience in this sort of thing, please.

Thanks in advance.

Duncan
:)

Sponsored Links
You are right in think that you are not lawfully allowed to drain into the existing drainage. You are also right thinking that new soakaways are generally not allowed to be closer than 5m to any building. If you want to do it by the book, contact Building Control, if a soakaway is impractical due to ground conditions or the spaces available they will (or should) let you drain into the mains. Why would you worry that a drain goes underground? Where do you think the existing drains that lead to the mains are? :confused:

You are right in think that you are not lawfully allowed to drain into the existing drainage. You are also right thinking that new soakaways are generally not allowed to be closer than 5m to any building. If you want to do it by the book, contact Building Control, if a soakaway is impractical due to ground conditions or the spaces available they will (or should) let you drain into the mains. Why would you worry that a drain goes underground? Where do you think the existing drains that lead to the mains are? :confused:

What's wrong with connecting it to the existing rainwater drainage from his roof??
I agree he wouldn't be allowed to connect it to waste water drainage into the foul sewer but surely would be allowed to connect to rainwater drainage??

What's wrong with connecting it to the existing rainwater drainage from his roof??
I agree he wouldn't be allowed to connect it to waste water drainage into the foul sewer but surely would be allowed to connect to rainwater drainage??

Its illegal to connect into the existing mains, waste or rainwater, unless permission is granted from Building Control.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/Pp...gportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADH_2002.pdf section 3.2 ;)

Whether you get found out or not should you do so and the consequences are another matter.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice you two. Er, yeh, what the hell am I on about regarding the piping to the drain going along underground!? :oops: :LOL:
I suppose, it's just a bit scary thinking of something new being assembled and put there, knowing how much water would be cascading through it. But, as you say, that's how it works anyway, with the existing downpipe.

I think I will have to contact building control then, as I'd be terrified of being found out afterwards and fined or something. Presumably, this is simply a call to the council and ask for building control?

Now, I've just got to think about the cost of the drainage being sorted! It's basically going to be digging up 7 metres of slabs along the side of the house and putting the pipe underground before putting the slabs back down, I imagine. Not sure how hard this will be, or how much I can expect to pay for the work to be done. Do either of you two have any ideas of possible rates.

At the end of the day, I'm going to have to look at the cost and weigh it up against the annoyance of having to empty the big water butt quite frequently to avoid the overflow / flooding. Money is tight, but my back is starting to show a bit of wear and tear, and health is more important than money, imo.

Thanks so much for the advice, once again.

Duncan

:)

Aye contact the Building Control department at your council, find the number online don't go through the switchboard, they'll get you going. Once you know exactly what you want to do post back. Really though you'll need to get three quotes for an accurate guide. Re-posting a new topic in the Building Section will probably get more useful responses regards to costs as this work is more Building than Roofing. ;)

To meet the reg's your soakaway would need to be a minimum of 5 metre's away from any building line.

Your second option would be best - to connect into your existing rainwater system, however, if this goes to a soakaway it is likely that it will not be able to cope with the volume of water and you could end up with the garden looking like a swimming pool from time to time.

Have you considered applying the principles of rain water harvesting technology to your situation?

Without going to much into the detail there are systems which filter the rainwater before it is fed directly into a holding tank, the holding tank has a submersible pump which directly delivers the rainwater to WC's, and the cold fill on the washing machine, going one step further you could remodel your water storage tank in the loft (assuming you have one) and have the harvested rainwater fed directly to this tank with back-up mains supply in the event that there is insufficient rainfall! Bit more complicated than that, but as a starter for more information go to www.greenbuildingbible.co.uk or do a google search if your appetite has been wetted!

Regards

Aye contact the Building Control department at your council, find the number online don't go through the switchboard, they'll get you going. Once you know exactly what you want to do post back. Really though you'll need to get three quotes for an accurate guide. Re-posting a new topic in the Building Section will probably get more useful responses regards to costs as this work is more Building than Roofing. ;)

Ok, thanks, I'll get in touch. I am a little worried that if I invite building control around to look they might look at the conservatory itself and tell me that I don't have permission to have it in the first place, though! I sort of thing that you don't need planning permission for conservatories (I'm sure that the company that built it for us, told us that as we had also knocked our garage down before the conservatory went up. planning wasn't needed). Thoughts on that one? It's raining as I type and I'm really starting to think I'm going to do whatever needs doing to get out of this viscious circle.

Thanks again,

Duncan

Building Control are not likely to start investigating the legalities of your conservatory. Exactly what are you asking in relation to your conservatory? When was it built and has the external door between the conservatory and the rest of the house been retained or removed?

It was built 7 years ago. The external door is still there, as it originally was. I just worried all of a sudden that something might crop up if I invited them to look at the water issue, and I'd be one of those stories you read about in the paper where "chap has to take down his property" etc....

Probably just being paranoid, as usual! Does this sound like it would be ok, then?

I'll call them when back at work tomorrow morning, and try to get the ball rolling asap.

Thanks again.

Duncan

Ok, I have spoken to a (quite posh sounding) man from the Building Control department at the council. Without even coming out to look he told me that I am right that I cannot put a soakaway only a metre or two from the house. He said that I certainly can link the flow of water from the conservatory to the downpipe from the house roof. I asked him whether he thought that it would go into a main drain, or a soakaway that was put in when the house was built. He didn't know, and when I said that I would be a bit worried about adding to the amount of water going into the potential existing soakaway he didn't really say anything either way (just told me what a soakaway principly does!). Er, so, I am still a bit unsure, but can't see any other solution. I think I'll try to go with continuing to have the water-butt, but any overflow from the water butt then goes to join the main downpipe / drain. Does that sound sensible? I think the next thing to do is to get some feedback from the builders secton then, so will do that now. Thanks for all the help!
Duncan

:) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back