Water getting onto fascias

Eaves trays are to protect the felt from uv rays, and stop it disintegrating and allowing water to run over the fascia.

if the problem is coming from a wall abutment etc, this needs sorting first, eaves trays will not cure a defective/leaking roof.

I’ve not seen eaves trays inserted into mortared undercloaks, for example, but I’m sure some have done this. Why not have a walk and see what other folk have done, if you want alternative suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Eaves trays are to protect the felt from uv rays, and stop it disintegrating and allowing water to run over the fascia.

Thanks again Chibs, i think this is the problem ive got as the felt has degraded and crumbled away where it once would have come out over the fascia into the gutters...

Wasnt sure if the eaves trays were designed to fit the entire length of the roofline covering the whole span of the felt which is why i added my previous question.

I guess it would be easy do ensure the trays span the entire roofline/felt span for a brand new roof but that maybe not so practical to do when retro fitting.

Last edited:
On the ends we Change the bottom piece of mortar or if it’s solid cut the back of the tray out.

when you say 'change the bottom piece of mortar' do you mean you chip out the bottom piece of mortar in order to move the tile/fit the tray then re-fit everything and point up once everything is back in place?

Sponsored Links
Yes because generally when we remove fascias the mortar under the bottom tile falls out as it usually has its own piece of undercloak separated from the rest of the gable undercloak due to the bottom tile kicking upwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back