small leak at eaves valley after repair

OP,
That was a nod towards safety but it was mainly a compliment.
FWIW: I saw no sign of a scaffold in the pics or in the reflection on the window glass?

Sponsored Links
As others, its difficult to see whats happening.

FWIW:
the fascia seems too high but it has to match the return fascia as you noted.

Maybe I've got things wrong but if you post some week end pics things will be much clearer - for me anyway.

Got a couple more pics at the weekend.....

the angle eaves tiles sit at is pretty shallow.....

tiles removed

If i need to change my fascia height/angle of the eaves tiles how do i go about this whist making sure the fascia top matches the top edge of the adjacent return fascia?
As mentioned i just replaced everything like for like but as someone also mentioned, that may not have been correct in the first place

p.s i added i single wide bit of membrane that spans across the valley up to the 2nd lath and along the section that previously had the overlap
Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for the new pics.
Its still not clear to me what i'm looking at - ie how the roof was originally covered or what work you've done?

Behind the RH fascia there's - a batten? - or a squared block of timber?
If needed, what's usually set behind a fascia is a Tilting Fillet, a wedge shaped timber angle that lines up the top of the fascia with the plane of the battens.
A plastic eaves protector should easily cross that gap behind the fascia but in your case maybe not?

How it appears to me is that the RH fascia is too high for the roof plane but just the right height for meeting the LH fascia.

With your kind of valley a large (ht & width a site call) lead soaker could pick up at the bottom of the valley -
The soaker would then come down to cover the eaves protector mitre, & either side of the mitre.
It would then peep over the gutter angle fitting.
Perhaps your p.s span of membrane is doing this?

I've tried to set out some possibilities -there's are others. I hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the new pics.
Its still not clear to me what i'm looking at - ie how the roof was originally covered or what work you've done?

Behind the RH fascia there's - a batten? - or a squared block of timber?
If needed, what's usually set behind a fascia is a Tilting Fillet, a wedge shaped timber angle that lines up the top of the fascia with the plane of the battens.
A plastic eaves protector should easily cross that gap behind the fascia but in your case maybe not?

Thanks tel, yes behind the fascia is a square block of timber nailed into the rafters that sits level with the top of the fascia.

Originally the roof was configured in the exact same way but the felt was worn out which led to water damage on th etop edge of the fascia and that square batten.

What i have done is remove the old square batten and RH fascia, replace with new in the same position and lay a membrane up and under the first lath as far as the 2nd lath in order to cover the area where the felt was damaged. plus fitted eaves protector under the membrane.

Didn't
get a before pic but heres a coupe in between ones where i was replacing the fascia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back