Water going hot & cold on shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there shed any light on this one.

We have an Aqualisa shower that is powered by a Britony gas boiler.

Quite recently the shower has started going cold whilst in use, very annoying. :evil: It will stay cold for 20-30 seconds then slowly start to warm back up again.

The water in the shower then reaches a nice temp..............then just when you think its behaving it will start to go cold again.

This carries on until you get to the point that you cannot enjoy the shower anymore & have to leap out.

Whilst all of this is happening there is a strong flame in the boiler downstairs.

All the hot water taps throughout the house are fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

AE

Sponsored Links
you don't say where you live but i suspect you are in a hard water area as the problem is cosistant with boiler or shower head scaling up other alternative is the cartridge in the shower is failing

Thanks for the quick reply, I do live in a hard water area. With regard to the shower head scaling up, I'll have a look at that now.

I presume its just a case of taking the head off & giving it a clean through.

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. ;)

I'll post back later with an update.

Sponsored Links
The shower head is soaking in a mixture made up by my Wife (Lemon juice & white vinegar.)

When I took the shower head off I decided to test the flow of water coming direct from the hose (Minus shower head.) The temperature was perfect, proving therefore that the problem is with the shower head.

As pointed out by kevindgas, the problem could be due to scaling up in the shower head, this I am now looking into by cleaning the shower head.

Testing the temperature without the shower head got me thinking, could it be that the shower has also got the wrong type of shower head fitted?

My question now being this, do you need a certain type of shower head for a particular type of shower, ie: one type for an electric shower & a different type for a gas shower?

Just a thought....any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back