Water hammer on kitchen mixer tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue that is focused in the area of the kitchen mixer tap, (like this one http://homebase.scene7.com/is/image/homebase/368597_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420)

When i open and close the cold water tap, i get a banging / vibration in the tap mixer. the tap is a quarter turn on/off, and seems to be worse when i close the tap quickly.

The mixer is fed from the copper pipes (hot/cold) via a flexible hose, which leads me to think that the source of the vibration is internal to the pipe (hydraulic). We have been in the house for 2 years now, and it hasn't happened all the time, but maybe for the last 6 months. The tap drips when off, and could be related.

The only way to stop the banging / vibration, is to either hold the hot water handle/nob to stop the resonant vibration, or to open and close the hot water tap slowly.

I isolated the hot water tap by a inline valve, so only the cold water would flow. This allowed me to turn on the cold water as suddenly as i liked and got no hammer / vibration. This leads me to think that it is just an issue with the hot water.

So the question is, what could be the possible cause, and are there anyways to solve it? would a water hammer arrestor on the hot water side be enough or is this just treating a symptom rather than the cause?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
has this tap just been installed ?

edit , i guess the last time you looked at the forum was when you posted the thread so not that interested then :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back