Water hammer

tej

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having issues with my cold water feeds which are causing water hammer.

So to try to resolve the issue my plumber put a pressue arrestor under the kitchen sink which sort the problem downstairs.

But upstairs the issue was still happening. So we put a pressure reducer valve under the floor where the cold feed comes into the stop tap. This has now resulted in causing low hot water pressure throughout the house. The stop tap is on full.

If i take the pressure reducer off the water hammer will come back upstairs.

The plumber has suggested adding a pressure arrestor in the upstairs sink and where the cold feed comes to the stop tap (current the pressure reducer valve is there)

It seems like trial and error at the moment but would someone have any other suggestions or advice to resolve this issue?

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you are getting it because of pipework not being clipped in walls or under floors.

Might be a case of lifting a few floorboards in the worse water hammer areas and clipping the pipes better.

Hi,

I get a water hammer when I flush the toilet and open the COLD taps, tried releasing air out of the pipes by shutting the water off and opening the taps but still no luck, if it helps this happens when I turn the cold taps halfway or full if i turn it a little it doesn't make the hammer noise.

Been living with this for months now and fed up with it! (not had any work done in the bathroom recently either)

Sponsored Links
Think you need to clip pipes as said above. That's likely your cheapest option otherwise you'll be chasing the ace and spending money on valves, taps etc!

Been living with this for months now

Was it ok previously? If it's happening on all the cold outlets it could be the jumper on the main stopcock. Try a new washer and see if it feels loose.

Turns out it was the cistern valve that needed replacing, of course the washers for the shut off valve went too when replacing the valve. Thankfully all sorted now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back