water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a problem with water hammer. this happens with hot and cold water. would fitting a none return valve on the outlet side of stop cock fix this? have turned the pressure down and no change. nor does increasing the pressure make any difference. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
What are the symptoms - single 'clunk' or vibration?
Do certain taps or appliances trigger it or does it occur throughout the property?
Can you measure the incoming cold main pressure?

have turned the pressure down
Do you mean that you have adjusted the mains stopcock - adjusting this doesn't change pressure, it changes flowrate.

Sponsored Links
What are the symptoms - single 'clunk' or vibration?
Do certain taps or appliances trigger it or does it occur throughout the property?
Can you measure the incoming cold main pressure?

Do you mean that you have adjusted the mains stopcock - adjusting this doesn't change pressure, it changes flowrate.

the noise is a single clunk, but very loud. it occurs throughout the property. unable the measure the main pressure. yes, I mean the main stopcock. if its turned right down, the noise is very faint, but the flow rate is very low. thanks.

Anyclue as to when the clunk occurs - is a wc/washing machine shutting off ?

But isn't flow (mass flow) roughly equivalent to pressure anyway?

I have the same issue as the OP and the water hammer we get is sometimes very dramatic. By reducing the flow of water, the pressure in the pipes does reduce and the water hammer stops but at the cost of not being able to shower and use a tap at the same time!

I have checked pipework where the water hammer is heard from (at the incoming mains) and felt the pipe physically move. Having taken out a kitchen unit to inspect though, all pipework is visibly secured to the wall well so I presuming I need a water hammer arrestor fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back