Water Hammering - Bathroom sink + bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a relatively old bathroom upstairs and there's something that bothers me on a daily basis and I'd like to get it fixed.

I think it's called water hammering although when I read about water hammering I'm not sure I get the same symptoms/issues I have.

The banging noise /(pipes hitting one another ??) goes away completely when the water flow from the tap (either in the basin sink or in the bath) is at very high water flow.

However, the noise appears when we've just turned the taps on and the water flow is satisfactory but not at full power.

The bath taps

When we flush the toilet, there's no noise other at the point when the cistern reaches the point where the flow needs to stop.

These bangs are very loud and when you are downstairs it sounds even worse.

I have not experienced it with the kitchen tap downstairs or the guest bathroom downstairs.

Only in the bathroom upstairs.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Worn valve closing in the toilet and/or loose jumpers in the taps could be creating the shock/vibration that is then amplified by loose pipes. Bit of investigation needed, get a recommended plumber in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back