Water hardness and the building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 3 questions on water hardness and the building regs:

1. The Domestic Heating Compliance Guide says in Table 9 that if mains water hardness exceeds 200 ppm then provision for treatment should be made. Our water company's website says that our area has a hardness of 150 ppm as calcium and 275 as calcium carbonate. Which of these are the building regs referring to?

2. Presumably 'provision for treatment should be made' means 'provision for treatment must be made'?

3. The only Building Regs Compliance certificate that we have describes the works as 'commission pressure-jet appliance installation'. I would have thought that 'commissioning' just meant final testing/checking out. Or would it also cover things like design (and therefore checking for provision of water softening treatment where required)?

All help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If it says 'should', it means should. If it says 'Must', it means definitely!!

Cacium carbonate is temporary hardness , calcium sulphate is permanent hardness

Commissioning is exactly what you said, inspection and testing for initial use.

Thanks for the reply and the explanation about calcium - but which of the two is the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide Table 9 referring to?

Sponsored Links
Total hardness, 275 ppm.

150 ppm I'd think refers to the milligrams of calcium per litre of water, 275 is the milligrams of CaCO3 (I think) in 1 litre.

It is most relevant to combi boilers in which the plate heat exchanger will scale up if supplied with hard water. The PHX has narrow water ways which will become blocked.

Although it also applies to water storage cylinders, the scale deposits will drop to the bottom and don't significantly affect efficiency in the life of the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back