Newbie hello and some boiler related regs questions!

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hello,

To introduce myself, me and my partner have just bought our first house - a 30's bungalow which is a bit of a project (hence why we could actually afford it). There's tonnes to do, including rewiring, minor building work, plumbing etc etc, and I intend to do as much as possible myself (a) because I want to, and (b) for financial reasons. Among the work will be the installation of a new combi boiler as I never intend to turn the old back-boiler back on and would like to loose the tanks in the loft for a future loft conversion. I'm currently in the process of submitting my building notice for everything, and my local building control guys (bedford) are being uselessly slow answering my questions. Thought I might ask a few here...

1. I dont really want to, and understand legally I pretty much can't, do any gas fitting myself. In keeping with my goal of doing as much as possible myself, however, I do intend to do the water plumbing side of things myself (I'm a mechanical engineer in a hydraulic engineering consultancy outfit and have access to all the leak/pressure testing equipment i might care to use in this endeavor, as well as the competence) as well as mount the boiler to the wall etc, and call on a CORGI to plumb and connect gas, and to commission the boiler. Is this going to be acceptable to a CORGI? Is plumbing the gas and commissioning enough for the CORGI to have 'installed' the boiler and be able to give me the right bits of paper without contravening any regs? I'd essentially just be supplying labour.

2. Does this need to go on my building notice or not? (this one's killing me :cry:). Somewhere on the planningportal website it has words to the effect of 'if it's going to be installed by a competent person you normally dont need to involve building control'. But then regulation 13 says :

(4) Where building work involves the provision of a hot water storage system in relation to which paragraph G3 of Schedule 1 (hot water storage) imposes a requirement, a building notice shall be accompanied by a statement which specifies -

(a) the name, make, model and type of hot water storage system to be installed;

(b) the name of the body, if any, which has approved or certified that the system is capable of performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of paragraph G3 of Schedule 1;

(c) the name of the body, if any, which has issued any current registered operative identity card to the installer or proposed installer of the system.

Part G3 specifically mentions a combi boiler as an example of an unvented hot water storage system, which would suggest it would have to go on the building notice whoever fits it.

But then Part G3 also says that an unvented hot water storage system with a storage capacity less than 15 litres is exempt from the requirements of G3. I'm no expert but would that not make your average combi exempt from G3 since they dont have storage vessels, do they? Being exempt from G3 would then exclude it from Reg 13 part 4 above.

Is it as simple as 'well a combi boiler does have more than 15l in it at any time'? I mean i know they have expansion vessels - is that what does it? Ah what the heck...

2. Assuming the combi has to go on the building notice due to reg 13, I understand I have to declare it's make and model, the body approving it, and the body approving the fitter. Now at this time I haven't yet decided on the make and model, but needless to say it will be band A and fully approved etc etc (looking at Vokera at the mo as a good compromise between price and quality/good repute), and [mostly] installed by a CORGI. Is it enough to stick words to that effect on the notice or do I really have to go shopping for the boiler already? I just want the d**m notice in so I can get on with other stuff!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Getting my head round electrical regs was easy compared to this (just a shame my local building control dont seem to know the regs, but that's another story...). Cheers,

Liam

Sponsored Links
a combi does not come under g3 regs if you have it installed by a corgi engineer you will not need to notify bco. the installation will be notified by the corgi engineer via corgi

Just like SpudKey said, the G3 Regs only cover Unvented Systems; A Combination boiler is not an unvented system;

Also, I hear you mentioned considering a Vokera, IMHO don't! A bit more (money) will get you a lot more (value)-I'd probably look at Worcester Bosch or Vaillant

You have already misunderstood the requirements in relation to fitting a boiler.

It can only legally be notified to BC by a CORGI as his own installation if he has:-

Fitted the wall bracket.

Assembled and fitted the flue.

Fitted and tested the gas supply.

Commissioned the boiler and completed the Benchmark.

Some CORGis will never touch anything like this. Thats their choice.

More enlightened people like me will assist those who want to do self installs correctly.

We charge about £180 upwards and discuss the siting and technical specs on the phone and by email to ensure the siting is suitable. We make one visit to fit the bracket , hang the boiler and fit the flue. Later after the owner has connected and pressurised the water systems we attend a second time to fit the gas supply and test and commission the boiler and notify the installation to CORGI.

Some, particularly third world CORGIs, will come and notifythe installation after the owner has completely fitted the boiler. Thats illegal! One I heard of has been banned from CORGI for five years! He now fits boilers for a CORGI countryman who notifies them in his name.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just like SpudKey said, the G3 Regs only cover Unvented Systems; A Combination boiler is not an unvented system;

Unless it is a storage combi with a store exceeding 15 litres ( including two 15 li stores if they are cross coupled with only one set of protective devices.)

Tony

Cheers for the replies, guys...

A Combination boiler is not an unvented system

Hmm? huh? Surely it's an unvented system cos it's, well, unvented :confused: I mean it's essentially a sealed central heating system plus an unvented multipoint domestic hot water heater all in one. Mains fed, and any expansion allowed for with a sealed expansion vessel (i.e. pressure vessel) as opposed to a open vented expansion tank?? Ah well I guess the terminology doesn't really matter as I escape G3 anyway on the grounds of no storage greater than 15 litres. Therefore Reg 13 doesn't require me to choose the make and model right away and write an essay about it on the building notice! Woo.

Tony - awesome! You couldn't have told me everything i needed to know any more clearly or concisely! (couldn't help but LOL that the CORGI fitter absolutely has to fit the wall bracket - keep those rawlplugs out of untrained hands :)). Anyway, cheers :D . If only the folks at my LABC were anything like that. That just leaves me with one question: Is there any chance you can put me in touch with a similarly enlightened professional in the Bedford area?

Cheers,

Liam

where abouts do you live? im in st.neots so if you like i could give you my number and we can have a chat. If need be ill come and have a look and we can see what the issues or not might be.

Hope to hear from you soon kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back