water heater downstairs is making a boom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, this is a message from dec, 04, I HAVE HOT WATER , BUT NONE OF THE RADIATORS ARE WARM, WE OFF THE OTHER DAY, WE HAVE A BOILER IN THE AIRING CUPBOARD, SILVER BOX WITH HONEYWELL ON IT, MY PARTNER TOOK THE COVER OFF IT HAS A SWITCH WITH ( AUTO) ON THE LEFT AND (MAN OPEN) ON THE RIGHT, ANYWAY MY PARTNER HAS JAMMED A SCREWDRIVER FORCING THE SWITCH TO STAY IN THE MAN OPEN POSITION, MAGIC, HEATING NOW WORKING, BEEN LIKE THIS FOR 4 DAYS, slow worker my man, most probably the boiler will stop like this for life. as he say its working, for me though i like things to work properly without having a screwdriver stuck in it, PLEASE ANY HELP TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, WHAT WILL I NEED TO REPAIR, , THE SILVER BOX HAS THE NUMBER
4000 2737-001, thanks julie

______________________-
yes me again, still has a screwdriver jamed into it. my partner will get to fix it one day, it's only the fifth month now, and yes now another problem, with heating. i could smell burning from the downstairs water heater, it tried to say i had burnt my toast earlier in the day. anyway he admitted it came from the heater. i say phone a plumber , no way was the reply, it justs wanted a new heater/boiler, not sure what it's called, i was told, he phoned around , £300 to £400, , yes partner was to fit it, CRIEKS I'M MOVING OUT, he fixes buses for a living, he is not a plumber, could'nt bare to fork out the cost , so he then decide to clean it out, it's never been serviced in 10 years we have lived here, so it was thick of soot etc, anyway burning smell has gone, but it is still making a boom sound now and again. i jump everytime it does it. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP, just jumped again, BOOM sound again, shall i take the matter into my own hands, phone a plumber and get it sorted once and for all, i shall even pay the cost, as anyone any idea what it will cost. do i need a boiler/ heater, and a new switch thing for the boiler upstairs, as this is worrying me. any advice please, thanks julie

Sponsored Links
You need a new silver box - (diverter valve actuator head). It has either 4 or 5 wires to connect, they're all colour coded, so get a small screwdriver and change it.

Is the boiler gas or oil? If it's gas get someone in to service it. If it's oil get someone in to service it. (Make sure you get someone who does things thoroughly.

Is the BOOM combustion, ie happens at startup, or does it happen later when the boiler has warmed up?

hi, the heater downstairs is gas , it seems to boom as it gets warmed up. any ideas's, thanks julie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back