Water in bottom of wood burner flue pipe

Probably a wise move.
Fwiw cowls such as hood tops or elephants foot cowls should be sealed to the pot/ liner or you get water inside

Sponsored Links
finally a dry day and managed to get up on the roof. I had bought a Colt top 2 cowl which looked suitable. The existing cowl as can be seen on the picture had been leaking smoke where it joins the pot so I guess that may be where water entry was taking place.

Fitting the new cowl was not as simple as it looked on the installation videos which are filmed on the ground. The cowl came with internal hooks which when tightened grip the inside of the pot and then straps and a jubilee clip secure to the outside. The hooks just seemed to lift the cowl as they were tightened thus I had to remove these and use the supplied bolts instead. The strap ends matched exactly with a decorative rim around the pot which meant I had to bend them to get the cowl to fit. I haven't seen any leaks yet but I may have to go back up with some longer straps as I am not totally happy that the cowl is fully secured

Attachments

• new cowl.jpg
    new cowl.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 30
  • old cowl.jpg
    old cowl.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back