Water in loft Extractor Ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can help me.

Noticed a damp patch appearing on my bathroom ceiling, when i went into the loft in noticed that the fibre glass was wet. Upon further checking i have two extractor tubes running through the loft, one goes to my ceiling extractor in the bathroom, the other runs all the way across the loft and i can't see where it goes, this tube was full of water and where two pipes had been joined it was leaking and eventually had caused the damp patch.

I have now emptied out the tube of water, but was wondering if anybody can shed any light on why the tube may have filled with water in the first place.

I can't see where the tube goes to in the house, but the other end is attached to a metal tube that goes through to the side of my pitched roof.

Sponsored Links
Probably steam condensing in the pipe, as it enters the cold roofspace. You should make sure the pipe has a downward slope to the outside, maybe even replace with a length of rigid smooth pipe (if this is flexi ducting)
Also, put the insulation over the ducting, as this will mean that the temp inside will be closer to the room below than of the cold loft space. Therefore the steam will remain as vapour for longer and able to be extracted with the airflow.

The mystery one could be from your boiler?

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have had another look in the loft and the ducting pipe appears to go from the sloped roof, all the way accross the loft and exits out of the side of the house, doesn't appear to be connected to any extractors e.t.c, any ideas on why this is there. There was a small amount of water in there again today so possibly rain getting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back