Water Ingress - New Conservatory - Pic Heavy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking for a bit of advice really.

This is still ongoing with the company who built the conservatory and they are bringing their roofer next week to take a look but wanted some advice really before they come back. Originally there was quite a bad drip into the conservatory the day after it was built they came back and added a bit more flashing which helped until there was driving rain the other night the leak came back so they are now sending their roofer next week.

So my house originally had a small utility room at the rear which extended out from the rear and one of the external walls is now an internal wall to the new conservatory (this was single story).

Pre conservatory:

2u8gw9j.jpg

During build so you can see how they incorporated the wall:

dy6v40.jpg

Area once built highlighted leak area (Red main leak, Green Damp Bricks):

1zch3tl.jpg

So originally, they advised it was the corner of the existing extension that was causing issues and water was getting in through the eaves as the mortar was crack on the verge. They believed the box gutter was sealed ok in this area too. I took a look and fair enough they looked right:

20sskec.jpg

So came back and added some extra flashing to the lower corner here. Originally it seemed to work and any rain there didn't seem to be a leak, and this is how it looked:

o8x6hv.jpg

o06ys7.jpg

34fmlqv.jpg

All was great for a week or so and then late last week one night it rained heavy and was quite windy and I woke up to dam patches on the wall in the corner and on the floor. You can feel the brick behind the plasterboard in this area is wet too:

ib9kwk.jpg

fdfsyx.jpg

sl38lf.jpg

Like I say they are bringing their roofer next week to look at sorting it but wanted some advice really ahead of what they say. I took a few pics from above today too, only thing I could thing was the water was running down behind the "new" flashing as you can see where from below and then getting in but can anyone see anything "wrong" or something they should have done which they haven't done which could be causing this.

34o3ouf.jpg

16k9y5j.jpg

2u8bc03.jpg

2daiwzs.jpg

Sorry for the mass of pictures and the long story but just looking for a 3rd party opinion as this will be the 3rd time they have tried to fix this next week, the first time with an actual roofer but still not the happiest.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I think the roofer just needs to strip the tiled roof to expose what’s underneath. Other than condensation, ali box gutters are pretty leak proof as long as they’ve been installed correctly.
Once the roofer has correctly done the tiled roof get him to get rid of that lead as it looks a bit shyte.

Thanks mate, would you presume it's something originally at fault with the tiled roof on the original extension as with it being an outside was previously we would not have noticed anything.

I think so, I’m not really a roof expert though, we just do plastics mainly. The others on here will tell you though.

Sponsored Links
I'd suspect the box section; if it was the tiles, then it would be leaking into the room next door. The box section is below the tiles, and if installed correctly, would catch anything coming off the tiles.

The roofer needs to take the lead flashing off, and take off the tiles and rebed them, and I suspect he'll also need to take off that boxing inside the conservatory, and see where the leak is coming from.

Put a hose into the box, and see if the water appears inside. If it does, then it can't be the tiles. Start at the front of the box, and then work backwards in sections, and leave each section a while to see when the water comes through.

Thanks, the utility room has been fine, no signs of damp on the inside of there and we have been in this house for 2 years now.

I've attacked the roof and gutter with the hose a fee times and it seemed ok which is why I got my hopes up that it was fixed but olny when the driving rain came it proves not to be the case.

WHich direction is the wind driving from. Looking at the pictures again, it may be that the waters coming off of the glass roof, and hitting the wall, but it should still be trapped by the box gutter. If there is no fault in the box gutter, then they may need to take the flashing higher up the wall to protect it from a driving run off, but I still can't see where the tiles would be the issue.

Looking at the 4th picture from last, it's possible that the waters running down the soffit, and then behind the flashing they've put on.

That's what I was thinking to be honest they have siliconed the flashing along the soffit but not on the bottom of the soffit, if that makes.sense, you can just about make out what I mean in the last two pics. I can see water marks running down that soffit so potentially it's running along the bottom of the soffit and thus behind their flashing? There has been leading all the way along that box gutter but someone I know did say they personally would have leaded a bit higher all the way along that gutter.

Last edited:
Well in the absence of any other ideas, looks likes you've got some options to discuss with the roofer. See what he says first, and then give him your thoughts.

You can't slap a piece of lead over the edge of those tiles and expect it to be water tight.
Plastic men and their roofs are strange people, they make complicated roof design's and most of the time they don't have a clue what they are doing?
I expect its the sales team fault half the time.

Last edited:
Thanks guys they came out today. They are adamant about he box gutter is sealed and also where metal meets plastic is sealed which makes sense as it's fine in normal rain. They still think it's the mortar because there isn't enough overhang so it's seaping through this and down behind the flashing. They are going to raise the flashing along the length of the box gutter and fit plastic caps on the verge to seal it. What do you think?

The operative clue to the error in their thinking, is the word seeping, as the water on that floor isn't from seepage, it's from a distinct leak. As the water comes in when there's driving rain, there has to be more than seepage. They're obviously not sure where the problem is, and they're clutching at straws, hoping they don't have to start dismantling the box section. You might need to take matters int your own hands, and hack off the plasterboard below the box section, and then keep an eye on things.

They might be better off removing the soffit, fitting the flashing higher up, and then reinstating the soffit, and finally repointing under the verge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back