Water Ingress - New Conservatory - Pic Heavy

That lead needs to be under the tiles (and better still under the verge) and not on top of the tiles - where is is doing nothing at all.

Sponsored Links
Given that you have a picture of wet brickwork, I would say they should not have plastered until the leak was found!

The flashband over the tiles is a bodge and needs to come off.

How is the box gutter abutment to brickwork done? -is there lead flashing in the brickwork and dressed over the box gutter?

How is the box gutter abutment dealt with as it goes around the corner and then across the front of the extension.

It is hard to tell at the front corner, but elsewhere there is brickwork between the verge and the box gutter so any ingress at the verge is only going to sit on the top of the brickwork and or run into the cavity.

I would suggest an extensive hosepipe test and see if you can force it to leak. If you can find the leak, it would help the installers so they know what to deal with

It is unlikely it will be solved by waving a mastic gun around and adding more flashband. I would say it needs stripping back to find the leak and then dealing with the abutment correctly.

These roof junctions are awkward, so its no surprise. Hopefully the conservatory company will be happy to come back and fix it for you.

I will give them the chance with the roofer to do what they think and see if that fixes the issue.(Plastic verge caps and higher flashing on the box gutter) From what you guys have said on here it probably won't, if that's the case I will demand it being stripped back and the leak finding this time as they have had enough chances.

You might be better of discussing the ideas from on here. It may make the think about what they are doing; and they may be prepared to go a little further than they'd intended to, rather than risk having to do the job twice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help mate, I did mention a few of the ideas from here when talking to them and he took them on board and to be honest is the reason he's highering the flashing down the length of the box gutter as he didn't mention that. He did say the verge pointing was very wet and it does have a good bit of moss on it which is why he thinks that's the issue.

I will keep you posted just waiting on a date they can do the work now. One other thing they are going to do is sort some of the pointing on the brickwork of that wall above the box gutter and they said it could be going behind the box gutter down the pointing or lack of it.

I agree with them in the sense it’s not their box gutters that are leaking. But dry verge caps on small tiles? I’m not keen on that at all. Maybe they mean a continual verge but then you’d have to seal around every tile and it would look a right mess. The verge needs to come off to expose underneath. It’s not a huge job.
Anyway at least they are being proactive about it and suggesting things. Good luck.

Thanks guys, just disheartening and want it sorted now. The 2 previous "fixes" where done by thier installation assessor so only hope I have now is an actual roofer can fix it but we will see just don't have any confidence.

I think ive worked it out, just waiting to speak to the roofer again to make sure they sort this when they do come out but how what do you think.

I only had a few terrible photos from before they put that extra lead over the corner because it was dark by the time I got home each night but and racking my brain released they had leaded on top of the soffit towards the corner with the issues.

So the lead running along the box gutter on the wall where this then met the soffit they did not go behind the soffit and just went over the top of it! This would mean any water getting behind the soffit wether it be from the verge or being blown behind the soffit is running down the back of it to that corner because of the angle then because the lead is on top of this soffit its just running down the bricks past the gutted.

When they bodged the corner with some more lead it masked the leak initially as it was deflecting some of the water but then in driving rain forcing water behind the soffit it gets in again.

Hope this makes sense. This is where it would roughly meet and to be honest is roughly where the damp patch starts to appear inside:

ng64pu.jpg

Can believe ive only just put two and two together and this all seems to add up. This would also explain the draft as this will be coming from behind the soffit and also in behind the flashing.

Ive done a little diagram to help explain too:

n20jv8.jpg

Last edited:
I think I agreed with that in post #11. And the flashing needs to go higher up, because the water coming off the roof in driving rain, currently hits the bricks above the flashing - and is should go under the soffit as a matter of course, which as Woodys said, then needs the verge being redone. But I'm still concerned about the amount of water coming down, as that suggests a greater leak source than just seepage.

Hi guys a few updates on this one. They attempted the repairs with the roofer 15th December. What they advised they had done:

- Checked the gutted and confirmed all was sealed and the issue was not with the box gutter
- Raised the felt along the wall to catch any run off.
- Covered and sealed the verge

They where pretty confident this would resolve the issue so I waited keeping a close eye on it and preyed for the next heavy downpour.

2nhhyit.jpg

347xjqq.jpg

So Christmas eve had a long downpour and low and behold the damp returned no different to the last downpour:

ak9wmp.jpg

Then new years eve it chucked it down......

mhf03s.jpg

15dueyw.jpg

So spoke to them when they got back to work in Jan after sending over all the pictures and they advised they would be back with the roofer and 2 of their guys to "get it sorted". Zero confidence though from all the messing so far. What they have found and repaired is on the original extension roof the sarking felt had sank from about half way down the roof and water was collecting in that bottom corner of that roof and running down the wall. There are the pictures they sent me:

This was the felt sagging and not fitted correctly:

15n0th5.jpg

2q0ug6f.jpg

You can see here the felt is wet where the water was collecting:

2hphy8o.jpg

So the only place the water had to go was that problem corner off that felt and this was evident when the felt was removed with the wet timber:

novp8z.jpg

So the felt was extended all the way down that verge:

3518mjd.jpg

Any lead added along the bottom edge of the tiles dressed over into the gutter:

5uk0wo.jpg

The plastic from inside the conservatory around the box gutter was removed and confirmed dry so confirmed box gutted was not the issue again.

To be fair they have eventually done an extensive job to "hopefully" resolve this. From the pictures it seems this is what was causing the issue but I suppose time will tell.

Crossing my fingers! Like I say from the pics they provided it looks highly likely this was the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back