Water Ingress - New Conservatory - Pic Heavy

So this does seem to have solved the water ingress issue which is great when I spoke to them about the draft up in that corner they have washed thier hands of me. They are now saying because the issue was with the existing roof they "fixed it as a gesture of good will and could have exposed the issue and left it for me to fix". I appreciate this but surly, correct me if I'm wrong because they have Incorporated this wall into thier design this is their issue now?

Only reason being is because they are saying it's the sagging felt ok through rest if that roof causing the draft and there are no issues with thier conservatory and told me I need to get through roof re felted at my own convenience to resolve the draft.

Where do I stand?

Sponsored Links
Remind us where the draft is coming from. So nothings leaking, it’s all dry, just this draft?

What they are saying is the felt under the tiles is shot and sagging under the upvc cladding on the sides. This was causing the water ingress as any water getting under the tiles was running into that corner and then down the brickwork which was originally outside but now inside.

They have extended the felt on that side of the existing extension "as a gesture of good will" so what they are saying now is it will be the same across the rest of the rood and and draft getting under the tiles is getting into the roof void is now coming in through that corner as the upvc cladding pr etudes into this corner.

The draft is in the same corner as the water ingress issue was which has now been resolved with them extending the felt on that side. I can see exactly what they mean and yes, this is whats causing the issue but my argument is that they should be resolving this despite the issue already being there as they have incorporated this wall/ roof into their design but am I wrong?

They are right in that they've fixed the roof as a gesture of goodwill, but they should have seen the problem earlier as well. Having said that, unless the draught is a fault in the conservatory, you may not get much luck from them. Use a wax taper to see if you can find where the draught is coming from first.

Edit: crossed posts. if it's the shot felt that's causing the issue, then that'd be your responsibility to replace it. And from the issues that you've had, stripping the roof to refelt it, batten and then retile it, whilst not cheap, could be a very sensible thing to do.

Sponsored Links
I said that to them, it should have been assessed if it was part of their design but they don't do it unless the customer makes them aware of an issue first which they then incorporate the fix into the cost. Which again I accept the cost but they 100% should have checked it out and considering they tried to bodge it 3 times first is a joke. They are adamant the conservatory build is not the issue and this is "weather tight".

If the issues with the roof weren't evident, and only found after the third attempt to fix the leak, then it's either complete negligence on their part, or as they say, it just wasn't evident enough for them to comment on. But, if they had found it, and then quoted you for the work to fix it, it would have been an extra to the job anyway. Is it worth backtracking a little, and saying fine, I can see your point, but as it's an unexpected cost that you never anticipated, is there anyway they can cut the costs to the bone. Or look for someone else to do the job.

To be honest they have not quoted but rather said "We recommend having the roof re-felted at your earliest convenience".

The first attempt was done by their assessor and he just bunged a load more lead on that corner and hoped for the best. Second attempted he stripped it and "re leaded it". It was then that "their roofer" came out and this is when the plastic ridge covers where fitted as he thought mortar was very wet and cracked causing the issue. 4th time around they stripped the roof and found the issue with the damp timbers in the effected corner and to be fair this has stopped any more water coming in but has taken a fair bit of time from me for making myself available to give them access to look at it.

If its not really their responsibility to correct it, despite the negligence I will look to get someone else it to do the job and I accept that as to be hones the draft is not major but does make the conservatory that much cooler.

Unfortunately, as it was your original roof that caused the problem, I think their "negligence" was really only not detecting where the issue lay earlier. Because they install conservatories, they were obviously looking for a fault with their work, whereas the roofer took a different view on the problem.

Yea I think the roofer first time just looked for the cheapest fix for them and when that didn't work had to delve a little deeper which in a way is understandable.

If the general consensus is they have gone above and beyond really I will leave it there with them.

The draught won’t be anything to do with the sagging felt under the tiles. It’s simply coming from out in the open either underneath the glass where it sits on the wallplate or under a bar. It could be coming from the ‘floating bar’, the bar that’s about a foot long that runs along the cut piece of glass on the corner, could just be from under there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back