water ingress under door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an 8ft x 4ft porch built entirely of wood and glass.
The frames were made to order as sealed units with one opening door.
When it rains there is water on the inside of the frames on the inside section of the hardwood. (Frames are softwood set on hardwood) The beading was set in glazier's silicone by the glaziers so no water could come through there.

The owner of the company is coming back for second time to look at them.
Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong? I have been advised not to accept an offer to silicone along the 'join' as a) this will look awful and b) will deteriorate over time.

My painter said that possibly the softwood was not glued down properly onto the hardwood?

Sponsored Links
any chance of a picture from inside the porch and outside to include the window sills
and is there a drip bead on the underside of the sills " a narrow groove cut into the underside of the sill" ?

if the water is coming in under the door a rain deflector can be fitted to the bottom of the door the best ones come in two parts one part fixed to the door the other fixed to the threshold

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back