Water ingress with heavy rain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. We’ve had about 3 weeks of rain more of less, but only over the last week our lintel has been dripping wet for days during heavy rain. The lintel is above an internal door going into a small extension with a lean to roof above. Iv removed the plasterboards on the head of the reveal to find a solid brick wall above the lintel. The inside wall which is the kitchen wall seems to be dry which is indicating to me it’s coming from
The outside somewhere and soaking thru the render?
My initial thought was that it is coming from the window upstairs as the wall underneath the window was soaking wet last week, iv now re sealed the window since and it’s dried out with no problem since. But the downstairs lintel is soaking again..

I will provide better photos soon. These aren’t the best but that’s all I have right now.

Render seems fine with no cracks? Could it be the stone window sil?
6AECB407-02E8-47BB-9D89-4F72C27A06E0.jpeg
AB720DDD-0388-45C4-B273-2CCD711D8BC5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
hi John. Yes the door is underneath the Downpipe! If this is the case, What do you think the cause is? ..

Edit

Yes, flashing, as below. Might be some other roof fault. Climb up and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Well I’m not sure? Only the right side of the lintel is wet which is the furthest side of the Downpipe. this is why I’m confused lol.

Iv also had the lead work re done last week. Iv cut a small hole in the ceiling too and the ‘loft’ area seems dry?

Iv had the lead flashing re done tho? 12inch lead and the roof is only a year old. This all got checked last week. And if it was the main roof wouldn’t the walls upstairs be wet?

Edit

Yes, flashing, as below. Might be some other roof fault. Climb up and have a look.
Iv had the lead flashing re done tho? 12inch lead and the roof is only a year old. This all got checked last week. And if it was the main roof wouldn’t the walls upstairs be wet?

Well I’m not sure? Only the right side of the lintel is wet which is the furthest side of the Downpipe. this is why I’m confused lol.
this could just be the natural route once the water is in

I would imagine it's the downpipe as others have suggested and once in the water is directed towards the other end of the beam.

Or, if you have a bathroom above it could be from a leak in there if you're confident the flashing is sealed

I would imagine it's the downpipe as others have suggested and once in the water is directed towards the other end of the beam.

Or, if you have a bathroom above it could be from a leak in there if you're confident the flashing is sealed
Above there’s just a box room. We’ve recently done it all out with no issues. But 10 days ago the left side of the window was soaking wet, I took the skirting board off to reveal a dripping internal wall. But I went outside and resealed the window, this has no dried out. But the door which is under the window is still leaking with heavy rain.. if you say it’s the Downpipe, how exactly is that causing a leak? Via The screws that fix it into the wall?

it all points to flashing and or tiles. Maybe something under the window lintel but if the wall itself has dried out then my guess is one of the first options.

Is that a wooden or a concrete exterior window sill?
Either one looks like work needs doing to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back