Water ingress - render, window or roof line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We recently moved in to a 1960's 'project' house that had been neglected for years. After stripping back the wallpaper we noticed signs of water ingress in the centre of the window reveal on the each of the 3 front (west facing) rooms.

It seems when the weather is stormy and rain driven into the front of the house water is getting in and finding its way to the reveal and into the rooms - not every rainy day, but just when it's stormy - which unfortunately here (Stirlingshire) is quite often!

I've been trying to trace the weak point with little success and hoping for your advice, my thoughts are as follows:

- poor fitting windows. Yes, windows are ill fitting and surrounded by a deep bed of mastic and cement. i will replace windows eventually, but have ruled this out as tried a hose pipe test with no ingress.
- exposed lintel. this is a weird one as the prev owners had the lintels exposed, and a small bell formed in roughcast above which my neighbours tells me was to try and fix the ingress problem. The bell and lintel seems in okay condition and the hosepipe test didnt expose any leaks.
- cavity wall tray/dpm. i really dont want this to be the case, but could it be missing or defective items in the cavity wall that are preventing water from running out and instead encouraging it to run inward?
- render. the roughcast is pretty old, but hasnt bossed or cracked (visibly). Even if the render was defective, as it's superficial surely it would also need there to be an issue with the lintel to be a problem?
-roofline. the fascias are in poor state, and the wet verge is missing in places. i will replace fascias and dry verge in any case however but would have through that water getting in at the roofline would be more indiscriminate about where it shows itself, and not consistently the middle of each window reveal.

I've attached a picture and any comments gratefully received.

Thanks,

Liam
DSC_0711.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back