Leaks above windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help appreciated!

We have lived in our current house for 9 years. Pretty much when we first moved in we discovered internal leaks above the three first floor windows installed on our gable end which is also South facing and unprotected by other houses. The plaster above one window was so wet after a storm you could poke a hole through the plaster above and see into the cavity.

We had the windows checked and the sealant was mostly fine but we had in redone just in case. We then had the pointing inspected which was old in places and completely replaced and some Thompson Weatherseal put on as as well. This seemed to help but never completely removed the issues and during particularly bad weather you could feel the damp above the windows and occasionally dripping rainwater.

As our roof was 50 odds years old we replaced that in 2020 and opted for a dry verge as well. We continue to get water ingress and this year is worse than last. It is noticeable that the problems occur mostly at this time of year when we have southern winds and driving rain which suggests to me that is must be penetrating rain which may be getting worse because the Thompsons is now washed away. There are no signs of water ingress in the loft.

How should I tackle it?

Should I try to apply some StormDry and see if that avoids as much water getting through the cavity?
Do I go for a full render?
Could the repointing work need to be reviewed? It looks fine but when you rub you finger against it after rain it feels sandy? Or is it just that South facing brickwork is tested to the limits with driving rain?
Also I am sure that the windows don't have cavity trays or any weepholes I can see? Do I get these retro-fitted? Is this a builder or a window-fitters expertise?

We love this house but this leaks have been the issues because there is no sign of anything for months of heavy rain and then one day of rain in a certain direction and we have rain ingress all over the shop.

Sponsored Links
I masked up and injected foam around uPVC window. Cut back foam. Removed masking. Silicone to tidy

It looked perfect before I started but water came in. Just could not see how. Been fine since..

Other thought is fittings cavity trays..

Last edited:
I've had positive results using storm dry, but it can only be applied in dry weather.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I will post some
Pictures of the outside tomorrow. Maybe stormdry is the best and cheapest first option to try? All three gable end windows have been dripping inside like nothing we have had for years.

It is inexplicable why after years of little, or little enough not to notice ingress it is coming through everywhere today and this evening. It must be the wind direction.

Here are some photos. The leaks are coming in internally exactly where the wallpaper/tiles meet the window.

Externally two windows have lead flashing directly above. The middle one was already there so was put in over 10 years ago. We put the one to the left in when we first had ingress thinking that might do the trick.

Brickwork gets absolutely saturated when it rains but is pretty dry this morning.

Attachments

• 18BF0182-E440-460B-9A8D-EA96AB008D84.jpeg
    18BF0182-E440-460B-9A8D-EA96AB008D84.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 08340059-3E70-4038-AADC-50F13DB977AE.jpeg
    08340059-3E70-4038-AADC-50F13DB977AE.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 04DDA604-D1F3-4C77-ABB8-2ABECC201D1C.jpeg
    04DDA604-D1F3-4C77-ABB8-2ABECC201D1C.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 80
  • DFD93410-8D81-4368-889D-846F91F83567.jpeg
    DFD93410-8D81-4368-889D-846F91F83567.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 2D7FE18D-43CF-4DC7-92F9-050086CF94D5.jpeg
    2D7FE18D-43CF-4DC7-92F9-050086CF94D5.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 93
Your internal finishes bridge the cavity and are attached to the outer brickwork.

In laymans terms have the windows been installed incorrectly then? What is the solution new windows, remove them altogether?

With the one I foamed it was driving rain in the bottom right corner.

Had a builder over earlier. He wasn’t sure of the existence of lintels but couldn’t be certain one way or other. His suggestion is installing cavity trays and then obviously assessing and installing/replacing lintels which seems like a good idea.

Most likely cavity condensation running down the cavity and sitting on whatever lintel is above the windows. There don't appear to be any weep holes? So the dampness has nowhere to go and will penetrate internally. Your builder's 'cavity trays' suggestion is reasonable but is a pig of a job. Do a search for Cavity Trays Yeovil. They make several retrofit products that will make the job a bit easier - they are an excellent company and always willing to offer advice.

PS. If this is penetrating dampness, I'll do a 'you're a complete idiot' dance and post it online.

Thanks I will let you know. I like your theory but we get water ingress only when there is long spells of driving rain. Almost as if the brickwork and pointing soaks up as much water as it can and starts dispensing what is surplus internally over the window. That or the rain finds gaps and the wind gives it a helping hand

Hi All. We had our work completed on all three windows. Lintels and cavity trays installed with weep holes. First driving rain since work was done 5-6 weeks ago, two seem fine now but one is still leaking rainwater internally above the window. The window and the frame itself shows no obvious damage so I am at loss. Surely any rain now getting through the external brickwork would drop down to the cavity tray and it should be impossible for it to find a route through except out through the weep holes?

I can only think that the rain is driving in between the top of the window and the DPC where there is a half inch or so of sealant which the bricklayer put in.

The guy is coming back to look and is a really well regarded bricky, his pictures of the work seems sound. Just wondered if there are any thoughts? It is such as head scratcher..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back