Water ingress with heavy rain.

Sorry to butt-in, that looks like a lot of water.

For a cheap thing to try could you not extend the downpipe that's discharging onto the roof and bring it into the gutter?
Might help you decide if this flashing is at fault. I never like loads of water running straight onto a roof, especially when it's so close to flashing.

I have an abutted roof to rendered wall, and the flashing upstand (up the wall) is around 175mm, yours looks a lot less.
Some like to have a secret gutter going down the roof, not doubt one of the roofers will give you some input.

Sponsored Links
Iv done this but it’s hard to tell as I don’t get much play on the lead, but I can see the felt that’s slightly lapped up the wall underneath the lead is dry, but as you can see in the photos the wall in the attic space from the inside has water drops running down it.. or is the water coming in from where the lead goes into the wall? .. iv tried everything from sealing small gaps in the render, to re sealing the window above. And it’s Still leaking.

Sorry to butt-in, that looks like a lot of water.

For a cheap thing to try could you not extend the downpipe that's discharging onto the roof and bring it into the gutter?
Might help you decide if this flashing is at fault. I never like loads of water running straight onto a roof, especially when it's so close to flashing.

I have an abutted roof to rendered wall, and the flashing upstand (up the wall) is around 175mm, yours looks a lot less.
Some like to have a secret gutter going down the roof, not doubt one of the roofers will give you some input.
No I appreciate your in put mate.. this is a good shout. I didn’t really think of this. I do keep an eye on the rain coming out of the gutter and it doesn’t seem to splash up or anything it just seems to run down the groove in the lead. And I agree, the upstand isn’t very big. Maybe I’ll try finding a Match for my Downpipe and extend it down to the gutter. But yes, theres a lot of water coming thru and that’s why I’m so confused at where it’s tracking from.

At a quick glance, it doesn't look like the flashing has been mortared into the rendered wall, it looks like it's been ground out, lead inserted and not filled, I'm sure this is not the case, but if there is not mortar/lead mate, then water will run down the wall and into the grind line and down the wall in your roof area.

Reading your post again, you said you've filled gaps in the render... are we talking about what I've just mentioned? What have you used to fill it?

Sponsored Links
I would also have a really good look around the ridge for holes/gaps.

I took the lead up the wall, past the ridge tile, like a bit triangle/diamond shape, this sat on top of the wall flashing, will take photo tomorrow when it's light.

At a quick glance, it doesn't look like the flashing has been mortared into the rendered wall, it looks like it's been ground out, lead inserted and not filled, I'm sure this is not the case, but if there is not mortar/lead mate, then water will run down the wall and into the grind line and down the wall in your roof area.

Reading your post again, you said you've filled gaps in the render... are we talking about what I've just mentioned? What have you used to fill it?
The lead hasn’t been seal with mortar mate. It looks like it’s been inserted into the wall 25mm maximum and they sealed with clear silicone, not even lead seal.. I’m thinking about leaving it in, but dressing over it with new lead? Maybe a 6inch dressing over top to make sure the upstand is a lot bigger too?

Mine is water tight, so it is possible to get it so.

Also looking through your images, how large is the gap roof tile to the wall, looks like it's 150mm+? Mine are around 25mm.

You could do as you say, over flash it, so it's a better upstand, and leave the current flashing in, although it's not probably the thing to do, but would it work, probably. Grind out a channel, use chunks of rolled up flashing to hold it in place, (see you tube) and mortar or lead mate it in.
Don't have any lengths longer than 1m, due to movement when it's hot/cold.

One downside with flashing on top of dashing/render, it can look unsightly if you press it hard to wall, I was careful with mine, as it's spa chippings (small & sharp).

You might have to take the ridge tile off, nearest the wall :( and re fix.

Forgot to ask last time, what is the damp patch near the radiator pic?

Mine is water tight, so it is possible to get it so.

Also looking through your images, how large is the gap roof tile to the wall, looks like it's 150mm+? Mine are around 25mm.

You could do as you say, over flash it, so it's a better upstand, and leave the current flashing in, although it's not probably the thing to do, but would it work, probably. Grind out a channel, use chunks of rolled up flashing to hold it in place, (see you tube) and mortar or lead mate it in.
Don't have any lengths longer than 1m, due to movement when it's hot/cold.

One downside with flashing on top of dashing/render, it can look unsightly if you press it hard to wall, I was careful with mine, as it's spa chippings (small & sharp).

You might have to take the ridge tile off, nearest the wall :( and re fix.

Forgot to ask last time, what is the damp patch near the radiator pic?
No mate i don’t think the gap is that bad, maybe around 80mm? like I said the lead hasn’t got much of an upstand so it’s hard to get a good lift on it to see underneath. And yes, I do a flashing of lead over the existing and see how that goes. I’m actually a carpenter by trade so iv got some decent knowledge of the building game, this just isn’t my house and iv done no work here so it’s always good to get a second opinion off other lol..

And the damp patch upstairs is another issue, for some reason the wall underneath the left hand side of the window is getting wet in driving rain. It’s been fine for the last week and now today it’s got wet again. As you can see I removed a peice of skirting board and it shows the internal wall is wet? Where this is coming from only god knows. Iv re sealed the windows, not 100% because it hasn’t stopped raining for about 2 weeks. But when we get another dry spell I will remove all the sealant and re do it all properly and see if that works. Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back