Water issue

It would be worth checking the seals around the bath and whether the grout is failing on the tiles. Not a normal place to have massive amounts of water, given the fact that the shower is at the other end of bath. So it maybe worth checking the pipework too.
Do you know if there are any electrical connection beneath this area?

Sponsored Links
i don't know, and to pull up the floor boards means ripping the bath out, and I am not prepared to do that at the moment.

Here is what I could see under the bath though.

This is under the end of the bath where the wet floor boards are. You can see there is an electric cable, but it is all black.

wallCapture.PNG

I've just taken a photo using my phone under that floor board space..... pointing at the wall/area which was wet.

I have found what I now 100% think is the cause.

2017-08-14%2009.31.37.jpg

Sponsored Links
It doesnt look particularly wet just there, but you never know where water can get to. There seems to be an electrical cable there draped over the water pipe (not the best idea). What is that dark area on the cable?

Get a mirror and look along the joist line. Do you see any junction boxes or anything that could be affected by wetness?

I've just tried my electric trip box, and it is all working now. It has stopped tripping, maybe the fact I pointed a large desk fan at that area last night (running all night) has helped the drying process?

Anyway it is sorted now. I will check for bath seals later today and I'm making a timber frame for the end of the bath and them fitting tiles to box it over and seal it to the wall and bath. Should stop it happening again I think.

Cool.

As I said, some of that cabling is very old rubber stuff. It would be in your interest to have an electrician do a test on your installation and see if it need replacing.
It may just be old stuff that is no longer in use, but the old rubber cables perish and crumble and you will get real problems later.

Yes, I will do. I have a mate who is a sparky actually, but he is on holiday. Will get him to have a look when he is back.

9:35 post. The cable in the background is grey. The one in the fooreground looks black to me, thats why i raised the query.

Hopefully the Vulcanised Rubber cable has been removed from the wiring system and just left there !

Fair enough I assumed it was a shadow but always good to get it checked out professionally!

Not pretty! I would defo think of having the cables protected or removed away from the heat of both hot water and central heating pipework.

I also has a problem with bathroom leak and RCD tripping, I found water inside an old tungsten bulb, not a clue why it should trip as feed was on flex so no earth, but replacing the bulb and all worked again.

Water is cold compared with heat in a bulb, so it will crack glass, once bulb fails and cools it will suck in any water on the crack, so much it would take years to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back