Water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our shower leaked on friday and water went down the living room wall (room below the bathroom) .

We only noticed when the electrics tripped.
Now it is sunday and it is still tripping. Im waiting for it to dry out. Is there a way i can isolate the problem so i can get powee back on?

I have replaced the socket at the base of rhe offending wall already that didnt help.

Sponsored Links
It may be that there is some electrical joint under the floor somewhere that is still wet (and may be for some time, if there's a water-filled JB somewhere).

You'd need a competent someone who is familiar with a consumer unit to disconnect the suspect circuit safely and get some of the installation running.
Not something that can be diagnosed over an Internet forum.

My house was built in the 30s. There is just one rinf main. How would isolation work? Woyld it involve ripping walls out etc?

If your sockets are on a ring, then it may be possible to bypass the faulty section by simple disconnection at one or two sockets and running a temporary length of cable. There may be other ways.
You need a competent electrician to analyse whereabouts the fault is and come up with a plan.

But it shouldn't be necessary to rip up walls, or anything.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I will sort a sparky tomorrow, but I'm curious how will they test/find where the issue actually is?

We only noticed when the electrics tripped.
Is it just "tripping out" on the ring main only ?

Leaking Water likes to find holes in the ceilings and very often gets into ceiling light rose and/or drip down into the bulb holder.

Was at a job in the early hours,hotel shower leaking and taking out the electrics,plenty of water in the light fittings :idea:

Is it just "tripping out" on the ring main only ?

Leaking Water likes to find holes in the ceilings and very often gets into ceiling light rose and/or drip down into the bulb holder.

Was at a job in the early hours,hotel shower leaking and taking out the electrics,plenty of water in the light fittings :idea:

Yes, we have lights ring working, shower ring working, and garage power ring working. But the main socket ring for the whole house (all on one) is not working, it keeps tripping.

I hate to be pedantic but
we have lights ring working, shower ring working, and garage power ring working
only the sockets are likely to be on a ring final circuit. The others will almost only be on radial circuits.

But that doesnt solve your issue. You need a person with some test equipment and a brain.

Old and Bold has a point here. Whatever circuit is under and around the shower is likely to have got wet. How many circuits has your Consumer unit got??

(so four circuits)
One Ring

I have ripped up the floor from my bathroom today. Try to find where the water ingressed.

I have marked on the first image whihc floor boards are wet after lifting the flooring.

I have been to homebase today and bought some wood to make a frame so I can fit a cover from the end of the bath to the wall and tile it, this way I can seal that space and it should stop any future water going down there. I also think part of the problem is when anybody has a shower the walls get very moist and afterwards it must run down the walls and under the flooring into the floor board etc.

2017-08-13%2021.48.31.jpg

2017-08-13%2021.48.35.jpg

2017-08-13%2021.48.44.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back