Hate home ownership flood issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

just bought a house but had a leak in the bathroom which in turn caused some dripping into the kitchen through the kitchen light, now the fridge and dryer in the utility room next to the kitchen have stopped working and so has the boiler which is in the bathroom airing cupboard any ideas is this going to cost me loads or do i disconnect the light and offending sockets and dry them off ?

help please, every other part of the house is fine and no fuses have been tripped.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds like an mcb/rcd/fuse /protective device has tripped because off stray currents
you could temporary run the fridge and freezer with an extension from an uneffected room
you need to dry things off before reinstating power
unless the appliances are wet its the wiring that's at fault

I was surprised when I had a leak at where the water went. It actually filled a light bulb. Water hitting the bulb caused a very small crack then the lamp failed and cooled sucking water inside. Lucky being glass I could see the water. Where water is sucked inside something it can take a long time to dry out.

The "and no fuses have been tripped" worries me. It seems unlikely that is true, somewhere some fuse, MCB, RCBO, or RCD has likely tripped which will need resetting. I remember in my dad's house he had built a cupboard over a fuse connection unit (FCU) although in your case I would be looking for a RCD rather than fuse.

You need to check the consumer unit/fuse board, as it is likely that the ingress of water to lighting circuit has tripped an RCD/RCCB that is protecting a group of circuits and this group is the circuit that powers those that are now no longer working.
This is what an RCD/RCCB looks like.

It is the one with the yellow test button on (The test buttons and not always yellow, they can be a variation of colours)
If the switch on this device is in the off position it has tripped, it will not reset until the fault has cleared, so you need to remove moisture and possibly some dry time is needed. You also need to resolve the issue of the leak.

A picture of your board may be helpful to us, so we can help you further.

Sponsored Links
Yes guys spot on it says RCCB is in the off position and all sockets in the kitchen, utility and upstairs are off only ones in the dining and living room are still working.

i will dry off the offending light and wiring and reinstate the electric once done.

yes the leak has been fixed. so time to dry and then reinstate the electric.

thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back