Water keeps running into loft rank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i have 2 large tanks and 1 small one in the loft, i have just gone up in loft and i am not sure if both or just 1 but its empty but at same time trying to refill, i have serched the house and cant find any leaks and cant work out where the water is gone and why its not refilling

any suggestions on were to start looking,

Sponsored Links
also i am not sure what other damage i have to watch out for i have turned of the heating and hot water

The large tank is the one that provides your domestic hot water and it should be full - the smaller one is the flow and expansion cistern for the central heating and it should have around 4” of water in it.
They are both topped up with ball valves that rise and fall with the water levels, adding water as necessary.
If the large tank is empty then you wont have any hot water.
Best to check which it is!
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanks so it all happen yesterday at 1am now i can see i think i know whats going on one of the toilet was stuck and not filling and going of and must have emptied the tank and i am guessing the filler must need replacing as was not filling now its finally filled up after hours but still filling not shutting of so i need a new valve with ball , sorry know know names of things
will get one and get it sorted should be fin after

i guess i need to fix the toilet as well what is just keeps taking water and not filling, its going to be a big job as its all in the wall and been tiled after so will all need removing

thanks for the advise

Its unusual and not particularly desirable to have toilets or whatever gravity fed with water but it does occur.
Your plumber needs to install new type 2 float valves but their failure this way is uncommon.....they only usually stick after not being used for a while.
Do you have mains water working in the property?

Your toilet, is this a push button type? Are you able to access the lid?

Last edited:
Its unusual and not particularly desirable to have toilets or whatever gravity fed with water but it does occur.
Your plumber needs to install new type 2 float valves but their failure this way is uncommon.....they only usually stick after not being used for a while.
Do you have mains water working in the property?
Also allows you to use rainwater for flushing & other non-drinking applications....

Most systems I have comes across that still have a cold water storage cistern in the loft and the original supply feeding the the bathroom, would also feed the toilet. In these cases only the kitchen would have the cold mains. These setups have worked fine for years IME.

Still come across them all the time, especially in older housing stock with old narrow mains supplies.

@john cobb can you upload any photos of the wc cistern AND the "2" large tanks in the loft?

My initial thoughts on this is that it's surprising that the wc is emptying the cwsc (large tank in loft) quicker than it can refill... Even more so if you have 2 (joined) CWSCs.

The wc would have to be practically "open pipe" and pouring down the pan. Or, your ball valve into the cwsc has failed and is not refilling properly.

Edit: just seen andy's quote, so guess I'm a +1 on that ;)...

Have you turned off the water mains and drained down?

Have you checked the float valve is working?

Andy

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back