Water leak chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's not very clever to go tiling onto a P5 chipboard in a bathroom. However, it has been done and on top of things it has been grouted with a non flexible grout!

After a leaking tap, water seeped through the cracked grout under the tiles and over time has lifted most of the tiles.

I was now asked to retile the floor. Is there a reliable alternative to taking out the bathroom suite and ripping out the entire floor and start from scrach? Something along the way of screwing down a 12mm plywood over the chipboard and tile on top of that?

I guess it also depends how damaged the chipboard is underneath?

Thanks for your comments :confused:

Sponsored Links
I know it's not very clever to go tiling onto a P5 chipboard in a bathroom. However, it has been done and on top of things it has been grouted with a non flexible grout!

After a leaking tap, water seeped through the cracked grout under the tiles and over time has lifted most of the tiles.

I was now asked to retile the floor. Is there a reliable alternative to taking out the bathroom suite and ripping out the entire floor and start from scrach? Something along the way of screwing down a 12mm plywood over the chipboard and tile on top of that?

I guess it also depends how damaged the chipboard is underneath?

Thanks for your comments :confused:
Hi,
your right it def depends on how damaged the chipboard is and is it the green type ? if it is not damaged and prop dried out and prep then you can tile straight onto it (green chip board) with a good brand 2 part adhesive (NOT SINGLE PART) and use flexi grout.If it is damaged then i would rip it all out you could board over that but then you may encounter probs height wise with the already fitted suite (chip board+12mm ply+adhesive+tile).If i were doing it then i would bite the bullet and rip the lot out and start again (using 12mm ply,2 part flexi adhesive,flexi grout) may be quicker than messing around removing all the old adhesive etc from the old chipboard before you can re tile anyway plus all of that water has prob made the chipboard a bit unstable to tile on anyway even if it does look ok
Hope this helps :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back