Water Leak Coming Through Bedroom Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There is a leak coming through into the bedroom wall but I am unable to locate the source of it. The outside of the wall is the front of the property and the bedroom is upstairs. We do have an attic upstairs which you can access and i have checked for any dampness or cracked roof tiles but i couldn't see any. I've attached some pictures of the bedroom wall and also the external wall of the front of property. If anyone can offer any advise on how to find the leak or fix it or what to use to fix it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Bedroom Wall.jpeg

External Wall 1.jpeg

Externall Wall.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Do you think the bloody great cracks in the render might have something to do with it? Where is the leak in relation to the window?

Have you looked at that area of the wall from the outside when it raining hard? Doesn't look like a gutter leak as there's no staining on the wall so its likely getting in through the roof. Do you have felt under the roof tiles?

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at that area of the wall from the outside when it raining hard? Doesn't look like a gutter leak as there's no staining on the wall so its likely getting in through the roof. Do you have felt under the roof tiles?

I did think that initially that it was getting in through the roof because of the way the it looks from the bedroom wall, it's looks like it's comming straight down from the ceiling but i could be wrong. I did have a look the other day when it was raining quiet a lot but couldn't see anything coming in to be honest. Might have to take another look.

I know someone said above that it's the cracks in the render but in relation to the leak am not so sure now unless the waters travelling that far once it gets in.

The area where the cracks are are well sheltered from the rain by the overhang so there'd have to water getting on to the wall from somewhere for the cracks to be an issue.

Its possible that the cracks are as a result of the leak, rather than the cause.

The area where the cracks are are well sheltered from the rain by the overhang so there'd have to water getting on to the wall from somewhere for the cracks to be an issue.

Its possible that the cracks are as a result of the leak, rather than the cause.

Looks like am going to have to take another look at the roof tiles from the attic again. What is common cause of leaks from the roof is it cracked or displaced roof tiles?

Check to see that the roof felt, if you have it, isn't sagging or rotting at the eaves. If it is, you may well have a leak further away on the roof that is letting water on to the top of the felt and then running down from a location nowhere near the damp spot. i'd be checking the chimney flashings in particular.

Check to see that the roof felt, if you have it, isn't sagging or rotting at the eaves. If it is, you may well have a leak further away on the roof that is letting water on to the top of the felt and then running down from a location nowhere near the damp spot. i'd be checking the chimney flashings in particular.

Am gonna wait till it starts hammering it down again and then go in the attic with a flashlight and check the roof tiles again. I think that's what is it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back