Bay window felt problem causing damp on bedroom wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D77B61C3-1851-482E-8063-9671A148844B.jpeg
3FF17FA6-688C-4BDD-A0B8-B89765C1623F.jpeg
585EDADD-86D3-43E2-B0C1-9A8D4D974808.jpeg
DC9E6DDA-0C9C-4178-8573-D7435FE4AD0D.jpeg
FACF0F80-70E5-4EF9-BC4B-23C55F9AC87D.jpeg
1254CBFF-2719-45E0-9A32-2396C80BD276.jpeg
B1E1FB5F-3DDE-4CA3-AA7A-5B5B279A8493.jpeg
Hi everyone I recently had my flat roof fixed and got the roofer to look at my upstairs bedroom bay window flat felt roof, he looked and seemed to think this was defective and is causing damp in the bedroom wall and he said he couldn’t see any damaged tiles on roof, does this seem true I can understand what he means the house roof has no backing felt behind tiles any help advice would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
The bay window needs a new roof as the existing is shot.
check the roof tiles have enough oversail into the gutter as you have new upvc fascias.

no underlay is not the end of the world...the bay roofs are well past it
poor eave tile bond above the bay .. your guy should have seen that

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
New felt for sure, decking may need renewed, upgrade insulation if required.

Do you think this roof is causing the damp problems in the bedroom as shown in the picture? Thanks

Going by the pics, yes! Tiles need sorted out at the eaves as well.

Ok thanks that’s what my roofer also said just gotto book him in he’s very busy will let you know how it goes thanks

I purchased the house recently, I don’t know if anyone told the previous owner velux do flat roof lights?

as above - both bay roofs are shot.
and both sets of guttering need stripping and re-fixing to adequate falls.
maybe the neighbour changes guttering or transitions to yours at a central running outlet?

the damp on the lower bay panel - when the bay roof is off (i presume the boards will also need replacing) check for moisture entering at that corner and running down to show below.
or, maybe thats plasterboard or plaster laths showing damp that you could open up, and then look for a cause in the lower bay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back