Water leak from high rise council flat - jinxed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an high rise ex-council flat. I am responsible owner, but over the years have just seem to be jinxed with water leaks to the flat below. I feel frustrated by the situation, but also not fair to the people below.

The flat was renewed in 2004. Over the years things are going wrong which should n't. Had a hairline crack in bath P trap causing leak, leak from bath strainer, renewed silicone sealant around bath 3 years ago and it is leaking now (different builder), waste pipe coming loose (push-fitting), copper pipe coming loose, washing machine leak, ....

The workman ship looks good, but simply can't believe why it is happening.

The same builders did my parents bathroom, but no leaks for 17 years...

I am think of tiling under the bathtub, so if it ever leaks, I get to know before the neighbhhors.

I am beginning to wonder, if it down to the high-rise building, perhaps there is more expansion / contraction in the building structure. It is semi brick/concrete building (so not your traditional concrete high rise). I am told the higher people are, the higher the temperature!.

Any advice from someone with jinked plumbing.?

Sponsored Links
I suspect its little more than coincidence, push fit waste should be able to withstand slight movement by the very nature of its design! Unfortunately living in a downstairs flat, there is always that risk of a leak from above, likewise if the drains block up the ground floor flat gets flooded..... Something to be said for living above!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back